Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lurkers

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 3/18/04 at 15:05 (147229)

I did this once before about a year ago. We all know there are lurkers here that do not normally post. I was wondering if all or some of you could just post a quick hello and if the board has helped you in any way. Don't be shy. Scott puts alot of hard work into this board and I am sure he would appreciate knowing how much it means to everyone.
Richard

Re: Lurkers

Anne H. on 3/18/04 at 17:05 (147238)

Hi Richard: I probably qualify as a 'lurker . I stumbled across Heelspurs.com in December and read the message board faithfully. In that time I've only posted 3 messages, the first was about scuba diving and hyperbaric oxygenation for PF.

I've battled bilateral PF for 20 months and tried all the conservative therapies. The heelspurs forum and web site has been a lifeline these past 3 months. Because of this site, I discovered my first pod gave poor advice--he told me to keep running :-(. I've also tried different approaches and become extremely proactive in my care because of other PF sufferers messages. Hopefully I'll find relief from this wretched ailment. In the meantime, I'm grateful to have this source available.

Thanks for asking ~ Anne

P.S. I wish Julie would come back. I truly miss her optimistic and uplifting messages.

Jon E on 3/18/04 at 17:36 (147239)

I've mostly lurked here for about four years, although I did post a few things quite a while ago. I read most of the messages here daily. I've had bilateral PF for about 5 1/2 years, and this site has been a great resource -- I've learned a lot from the posters here. It's also been a great psychological help to know that there are others dealing with the same problem. I would bet there are a lot of people who only post occasionally or not at all and benefit from this board.

Re: I'm a lurker, too

SuzanneK on 3/18/04 at 21:01 (147252)

I have posted occasionally, but am much more likely to read. During the time my pf was really bad, this board was a life saver. I could read about people who were feeling the same way I was. No one else understood why I was in such pain. I learned about treatments that helped and treatments to avoid. The information shared on this website enabled me to ask my doctor intelligent questions about my treatment and, ultimately, choose the right solution for me.

I still have the occasional flare-up in my non-surgical foot, but I now know what to do to treat it and keep it from becoming incapacitating. I wish I'd known what what I know now about which shoes to wear and how to stretch before my pf became so bad in the first place.

I have referred friends and colleagues to this site, but I don't think those people have hung around. Too bad.

Thank you scott and all the regular posters who share their expertise and encouragement to those who are suffering.

Peggy B. on 3/18/04 at 22:59 (147263)

I too have 'lurked' for about 19 months. I found that I accessed this site more when the pain was worse or when I had become very discouraged. I had PF about 10 years ago only on my right foot. I ended up having a release with very good results and continued to wear my orthotics faitfully. However, about 21 months ago I began to have significant problems with my left foot. My HMO sent me to a Podiatrist that was nice but I felt I was far more informed about my PF and we had 'philosophical differences.' He didn't like ice etc. During open enrollment last Dec. I switched and was able to see someone that came highly recommended. He is very knowledgable, supportive and I have improved 90% under his care. I have found this site to be informative and very valuable when I have been very down. I continue to look to see if there is anything new and have also made purchases. It is an excellent site and I thank everyone that posts and those involved in it's upkeep.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/18/04 at 23:13 (147267)

Hi Jon:
Please stop by more often! That goes for all of you... :) :)
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/18/04 at 23:15 (147268)

Richard:
What a great idea! There are a lot of site fans out there that we would like to hear from. We want to make the site as inviting to them as possible.
Ed

Anne H. on 3/19/04 at 02:23 (147283)

Peggy: What types of treatment has your new pod recommended that has resulted in 90% improvement?

Thanks much! Anne

Richard, C.Ped on 3/19/04 at 08:13 (147285)

It is great to hear from all of you!! I lurk at home improvement sites and what not, and I know they like to know that they are a help to others. I have directed many of my patients to this site and have been told that it is a great source of information to them.
Richard

Kathy G on 3/19/04 at 08:27 (147287)

Hey Richard,

Since I post a great deal, I don't qualify as a lurker but sometimes I just lurk and I like the sound of it. It makes me sound like a woman of great intrigue, albeit one with bad feet!

So, on the days I don't open my big mouth and say something, I am a lurker!

john h on 3/19/04 at 10:15 (147298)

Richard: Please explain to me exactly what you do. Do the doctors send you patients to make orthtics for? Can you see a person and just make them an orthotic without a prescription? If so, how do you evaluate what type of orthotic they need and how do you cast their foot?

Cindy W-A on 3/19/04 at 10:48 (147301)

I've been reading the board since November 2003 when I was diagnosed with PF after I injured my heel. This is my first time posting, mostly because I've always been able to search the board and find answers to my questions. The information here has really been invaluable and I'm slowly improving. Some days when I feel depressed, I check in and someone's comments always make me feel better or give me something new to think about or try. Thanks everyone!

Buck T. on 3/19/04 at 11:43 (147307)

Because of the board I learned about ESWT and had it done on one foot. So far, good results year later. Learned from board post care including correct way for first time to make and adjust orthotics. Learned about shoes and exercises. Great psychological help on bad days.

Buck

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 13:29 (147318)

Richard:
I lurk at some political sites though I usually don't post because they tend to have a lot of like minded people and just feel like I am adding another voice to the 'choir.'
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 13:31 (147319)

Cindy:
You actually are using the board in the way it was intended. So many posters go to the 'Ask the Doctors' Board and ask questions that already have been covered in Scott's Heel Pain Book. We try to be courteous and reply but usually refer them to the book. We are very interested in YOUR specific story though since we all like to compare notes.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 3/19/04 at 13:35 (147321)

As it looks right now, I just sit here and play on the computer looking at message boards...haha.

Well, I go around and speak with physicians about the foot care of their paitents. I tell them that we are board certified in what we do and our knowledge of biomechanics, anatomy and physiology (I have additional education in anatomy and physiology) of the foot seperates us from the franchise stores such as Good Feet. When I am finished speaking with them, they know they can trust us to provide the best possible device for each individual.

No two feet are alike. I judge the material per each individual. I do have some doctors that like to use only one or two types of material, and are specific in their prescriptions. Mostly, the prescriptions are kind of vague with only the diagnosis and the directions, 'orthosis to fit'.
One type of orthosis does not work for everyone. We examine them to see if they need a heel lift, wedges, or any other modifications. All that must be taken into consideration before making the orthsis.

We have many doctors that trust us. We do communicate with them by sending progress notes to their office to let them know what we did. Wether they read it or not, I don't know.

We have a special casting procedure. We do not use the foam boxes any more. We invented a much better way. We do the semi weight bearing casting method...not standing. Standing does not work. Yeah...I said it. Standing does not work.

I file insurance for the patients. I know what South Carolina insurance covers and what does not. I give discounts to those who I know are not covered or do not have insurance. I also let them split up the charges in a couple of payments if needed. I'm such a nice guy!! haha

I also try to have the orthosis ready from same day to at least the next day for the patient. Someone in pain does not want to wait three weeks for their orthosis.

I guess thats about it.

john h on 3/19/04 at 14:36 (147332)

I have always noticed when one foot feels better the other foot feels better. When I had a shot one time I asked the Doc for a shot in both feet. He said he had found that if the shot helps one foot for what ever reason it seems to nearly always help the other so he suggested only one foot. That is actually what happened only the effect only lasted about 5 daays.

Pauline on 3/19/04 at 16:00 (147344)

John,
Maybe that is because even though the injection is local medication still travels through the body.

I didn't realize that eye drops for instance can produce a lot of systemic side affects. Just thought they treated the eye, but people report everything from body aches to dry mouth so I guess the stuff travels.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 21:38 (147360)

Pauline:
A couple of things are at play. First, if a cortisone shot makes one foot feel better, patients will shift weight to that foot and away from the opposite side and, as such, the opposite side feels better. Second, as you observed, some of the medication is absorbed systemically and affects the other side. An orthopedic surgeon I knew commented on how frequently he will inject one shoulder and then the other shoulder would feel better too.
Ed

Paul S on 3/19/04 at 22:28 (147365)

Sung to the old Monkee's tune, Hey Hey I'm the Lurker and people say I lurk around, but I'm too busy limpimg to put any body down. I've been lurking for about seven months now. Learning from people like Julie, Dr. Z, Ed Davis, Richard C, and the others who are the backbone of this site.
Thanks to you people and others I am virtually pain free now. All hail the Birks, saviors of painful heels. I tried Night Splints, Dr. Kipers SDO's, Mikes Foot excercisers, who knows what worked, but it did. I will always monitor this site daily maybe interjecting a comment or two. Thanks to you all and to all a Good Night.

Paul S

Suzanne D. on 3/19/04 at 22:40 (147367)

That's creative, Paul! And isn't it amazing how songs from years ago just 'stick in our heads'. Years from now my first graders will be in the grocery store and start humming some of the songs I taught them. :)

I'm glad you're much better now.
Suzanne :)

Peggy B. on 3/20/04 at 19:56 (147434)

If I post again as Anne has asked me to do I lose my lurker status? Anne, my new Pod. told me that my orthotics were not working. Ironically, I had heard this from the previous Pod. who also made new ones. The difference this time was he took a standing X ray and gave me a cortisone injection. The previous Pod. had given me an injection but no standing X ray for the orthotics. The difference being that this time the injection itself was uncomfortable but not painful and I actually felt like I got some relief. Many years ago I had jacked up my ankle before a cross country race and had my foot taped. When the tape came off so did the skin on the top of my foot. This was not pleasant and the memory stayed with me. Hence, when anyone asked I said I had a tape allergy. He went ahead and taped me with a different tape and told me to take it off immediately if it felt like it was pulling or itching. I made it four days. He then taped me with something he hopes to have patented within the next year. It too helped. He told me to stop stretching for several weeks, ice and to stop using my nightsplint. That was very scary. I think in my attempt to try and take control I probably was reinjuring it while trying to rehab. it. Most recently I ordered the neoprene heel piece with the gel in it. It too seems to help and feels good. I also accessed this website and did the yoga stretches etc. One thing I have discovered is that I have a very high tolerance to pain so when something hurts I am already injured. When all of this started I immediately stopped running, wore a night splint and did the 'right thing' which is not easy as we all know. One thing I would have done differently was to seek help sooner. All in all, life is good and I no longer hurt all of the time. I wish this for everyone.

Dr. Z on 3/21/04 at 08:56 (147450)

I have found that this happens alot. I never inject two heels at once. At one time I tried to only do one heel with ESWT hoping the other would get better. I rarely do this any more. If both hurt alot and there is physical pain on palpation with an abnormal ultrasound then I zap two feet.

Pete on 3/21/04 at 10:03 (147460)

Great site, been here for 2 years. Without doubt the best resource anywhere for info on foot pain. Comforting that others in the same position and answers from Doc's are great. Just wish I lived in the US and I'd visit of the doc's personally ! keep up the good work

Cindy W-A on 3/21/04 at 20:31 (147491)

I injured my heel in October 2003 when I stepped hard on a protruding piece of cement on our patio. I felt a sharp pain but afterwards it seemed okay. Unfortunately, I continued my regular activities including dancing 5 nights a week and finally realized the pain was getting worse and wasn't just going to go away. At that point I went to a pod who diagnosed PF. He xrayed, found a heel spur, told me to buy Superfeet inserts and do the wall stretch. The Superfeet didn't really help - I have a high arch and pronate. I stopped doing the wall stretch after I found Julie's yoga stretches which are great. Taping has helped some. I used ice the first few months but now soak in warm water. I have Amfit orthotics which, after several adjustments, seem to be helping. I've also rested A LOT. I have no first step pain in the morning. I still have a small bump on my heel in the spot where I originally hit it. I can't see it but can feel it and move it around a little. The pod thought it was caused by PF because he said it was at the point of insertion but I'm not so sure.

Dr. Z on 3/21/04 at 21:00 (147492)

Cindy
If you aren't getting better you should get either an MRI and or ultrasound to find out what that lump

Cindy W-A on 3/23/04 at 10:10 (147602)

Dr. Z - Thanks for responding!