Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ISMST - 7th Congress

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 3/18/04 at 23:10 (147266)

The seventh 'congress' of the ISMST (International Society for Musculoskelatal Shockwave Therapy) this year will be held in Taiwan on April 1 to April 4. I mistakenly assumed it would be in February as some prior ones were. The important thing to watch for is the http://www.ismst.com website which will subsequently list abstracts of the papers presented.
The evidence just keeps getting more and more promising on this wonderful new area of medicine. Watching the proceedings of the ISMST is a bit of a window into the future of medicine.
Ed

Re: ISMST - 7th Congress

Dr. Z on 3/18/04 at 23:20 (147271)

Ed,

I see where Dr Norris, Weber etc are going to present a very interesting dornier epos study that includes over 360 patients. To travel that long on an airplane to lecture means there is alot of dedication in the United State ESWT community

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/18/04 at 23:42 (147279)

It sounds like it may be the Norris/Werber study. Too bad it did not get published by ACFAS just because it was non-surgical. I wish ACFAS made a quicker decision so it could have been submitted to a different journal more expeditiously.

We know about this study but there will be many more studies presented we do not yet know about --- stay tuned for the excitement. Do you know how long it has taken http://www.ismst.com to post the abstracts of the 'congress' online in the past?
Ed

Pauline on 3/19/04 at 13:08 (147314)

Dr. Ed,
Are any abstracts on ESWT being presented at any Podiatry seminars this year by anyone?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 13:23 (147315)

Pauline:
Very likely. There are so many but one to watch would be the 'national' convention, the APMA, this August in Boston.
Ed

Pauline on 3/19/04 at 15:34 (147342)

More than likely the papers have been accepted already. What the buzz you're hearing and do you know the presenters?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 21:26 (147356)

Pauline:
I am not sure what will be presented at APMA. The Norris/Werber paper is an excellent one. Dr. Norris allowed me to read a draft copy last May. I later, about October, asked Dr. Werber for a copy to send to Dr. Rompe and Dr. Rompe kindly critiqued the paper and I returned Rompe's comments to Werber for revision. It was submitted to the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery which is the official publication of the American College of Foot and Ankle surgeons about last April/May. The editor apparently sat on the paper for months before making a decision not to accept it simply because the procedure is non-surgical. The authors now have to re-submit it (or have) to another journal, most likely the Journal of the APMA.
This paper has been mentioned in several posts as it has a relatively large sample size.
Ed