Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Feet knee and now hip please help

Posted by nabila A on 3/19/04 at 07:24 (147284)

Hello Again
Brief History
PF 3yrs My arches have fallen now to give me flat feet
Patella Femeral Syndrome 1 yr
Achilles Tendonitus with swelling on Tendon 1 yr
I am now experiencing pain in my hip when I stand up, quite bad pain
I am using night splints
Orthotics from the hospital
Am using a stick to help me walk with at the minute
What do I need to help Me and what could be wrong with the hip now
Hip, Achilles swelling Knee PF left leg
Achilles and PF right foot
Please help

Re: Feet knee and now hip please help

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 13:36 (147322)

Orthotics from the hospital????? Please explain as I have never encountered a hospital as a source of orthotics.
Changes in gait can affect your knee and hip -- it would be my hope that the orthotics would prevent that but need to figure out what you have obtained.

Re: Feet knee and now hip please help

nabila A on 3/19/04 at 13:45 (147325)

My ortho consultant sent me to the orthotist at the hospital to get insoles
and night splints on the NHS in United KIngdom. Sorry Im a bit dumb what
is the change in GAIT, please explain as I dont understand, nobody has really explained in detail to me about my problems
Should the orthotic insoles help then
Thanks for replying
Although to get the insoles he just drew around my feet and the consultant told him I was(pes planes) with PF and achilles tendonitus
Do you know what they may do aboout the swelling on my tandon which I have had for about a year or longer

Re: Feet knee and now hip please help

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 13:56 (147326)

Now I understand -- did not realize that you were from the UK. 'Gait' is the way we walk. It may be altered if our feet are painful.
I would question what you obtained as an orthotic if the means of measurement was simply using a tracing of your feet. Do you have access to a podiatrist via a referral or otherwise (I don't know the 'nuts and bolts' of how the NHS operates)?

Re: Feet knee and now hip please help

nabila A on 3/20/04 at 02:53 (147375)

I am trying to get a referral but Gp said unless your over 65 or with diabetes it is really difficult,What do you think I should ask my ortho consultant to do for the next step.In the mean time I may get a referral or consider going private(but that is a very expensive option)

Re: To Nabila

Pete on 3/21/04 at 09:52 (147459)

I'm from the UK also.

Do NOT under any circumstances rely on the NHS for orthotics. I had a terrible experience 3 years ago with them, After 3 attempts I couldn't even get the orthotics in my shoe ?

You need to see a Podiatrist (see yellow pages) but make sure they are experienced in making and fitting orthotics. You don't need a GP referral for this, but it will cost you. However, any Pod should give you an initial examination for a small fee.