Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nomar Garciaparra

Posted by Kathy G on 3/19/04 at 08:57 (147292)

Nomar Garciaparra, the excellent shortshop for the Boston Red Sox, has missed three of the last four games. He recently came back into the lineup and 'felt something' during his second at-bat. They did an MRI and he is now wearing a portable cast due to an 'achilles tendon problem with his heel.'

Sounds like PF to me. It will be interesting to see if they ever use the PF word to describe it. It seems to be something they shy away from saying when they talk about professional athletes. It will be a huge blow to the Sox if he's hurt this season.

Recently I read an article about Veejay Sing, a golfer who had suffered from PF. I was sorting through my husband's huge pile of Golf Magazines so that I could nicely point out that most of them were from 2003 and he probably didn't need them when I saw the article and stopped to read it. While the article said that Veejay has the most amazing practice schedule of anyone on the tour, they never once mentioned the PF. I was disappointed because I thought maybe they'd say whether he had overcome it and if he had, how he'd done it.

If the Red Sox are like any of the other professional franchises, they probably will never inform us of what's wrong with Nomar.

Re: Nomar Garciaparra

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 13:26 (147316)

Kathy:
We may not get the details. Although, there are publicity seeking docs who align themselves with pro teams and like to splash a big media story every now and then. Jay Buhner, pitcher for the Mariners had PF (he had been traded)-- it was not clear if he had surgery first or ESWT but I beleive the surgery did not work and he went back for Ossatron.
Ed