Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

George & Surgery

Posted by john h on 3/19/04 at 10:27 (147299)

Well George had his surgery yesterday. He had multiple breaks and bone fragments in his rear leg. He had screws and a pin inserted and is doing well. I will pick him up Monday and he will be confined in a cage at home for 8 weeks or as you know cats like to jump and climb and he could easily undo the surgery. The cage is a good size one so he will do what a cat does best--SLEEP. The Doctor said he should resume a regular cat life after the bone heals. Stitches out in two weeks and the pin will be pulled out in about 5 weeks (outpatient). I sure would like to know where he went after the accident. We have had some terrible thunderstorms and minor flooding. I spent every day calling him and combing the neighborhood. I am going to guess he just made his way home and got under the deck in the back and just holed up until he finally had the pain reduce enough to come out. When I was about 8 I had a cat that my father gave to my aunt who lived 125 miles away. All the area between her house and ours was very much wooded. He disappeared not long after he gave her the cat. Over a year later she reappeared at our home. I of course kept her until she died of old age.

Re: George & Surgery

Lari S on 3/19/04 at 10:46 (147300)

I'm so glad that George's surgery went well. I'm sure he is just as anxious as you are for him to be home. Our daughter's cat was hit by a car 2 years ago and had many broken bones. The cat was up and about after a couple of months. She now has a slight limp, but is still very active. Keep us posted on George's recovery.

Buck T. on 3/19/04 at 11:32 (147306)

John: Glad George doing better. We just adopted another kitty. Someone dumped it on our country road and I spotted a dog running with it in its mounth. By a miracle I got the dog to drop the kitty.

It was the weekend and we have other cats, so I told wife we'd care for kitty and take it to pound on Monday. That was eight months ago and kitty, now named Precious, is still with us. Precious is social and follows me like a dog. Maybe you can tell how much we care about her by her name.

Take care, Buck

Suzanne D. on 3/19/04 at 12:03 (147311)

I'm glad George's surgery was successful and hope he has a speedy recovery, John. %%-

The story about your cat that traveled 125 miles to find its way home made me think of that movie 'Homeward Bound'. I remember reading the book and later seeing the first movie, both entitled 'The Incredible Journey' years ago. I can get lost easily in unfamiliar surroundings. It amazes me how animals can find their way home from far away!

I'm sure you'll be glad to have your cat home again Monday.

Suzanne :)

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 13:34 (147320)

He was probably traumatized by the fall, dazed and wandered off. Glad you got him to get care. Cats have 'nine lives' so hopefully he will be back in action in 5-6 weeks.

john h on 3/19/04 at 14:34 (147330)

Suzanne: more about that cat. my father was a dentist. the cat had lost most of her front tooth. He put a gold crown on it. Living in a rural area he ofen helped people with thier animals. He was also the only dentist around so he also did the prisoners in the North Carolina Chain Gang. The only tooth of mine he ever pulled was when he tied a string to one of my baby teeth and the other end to a door handle. Of couse when the door was pulled open out came the tooth. Of couse I put it under the pillow and te tooth fairy left me a dime.

marie on 3/19/04 at 21:26 (147355)

So glad to hear your kitty made it through alright. The poor thing must have been very frightened and in pain.

That was an interesting story you shared about your cat. Cats have a way of getting around. I wonder what your kitty's life was like for that year. Probably a great story in that. Remember 'Homeward Bound'?

Suzanne D. on 3/19/04 at 22:38 (147366)

It sounds like your father was a true gentleman, John. :)

Inflation has affected the tooth fairy, too! My children at school report getting $2.00 and up for their lost teeth. I tell them I usually got a quarter under my pillow, and they just look at me with pity. /:)

Suzanne :)

wendyn on 3/19/04 at 23:43 (147371)

John, I hope George has a speedy recovery!

Necee on 3/24/04 at 22:24 (147713)

John I'm so glad that George's surgery went well, he's very lucky to have you as his keeper.
I'm sure he's going to do just fine once his leg heals.
Keep us posted, and all the best.