Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spur

Posted by dtyler on 3/19/04 at 12:53 (147313)

Got dx yesterday of 8mm heel spur after doc ordered xrays. This is from a trauma at my Mom's house last summer. Thought it was a stone bruise but pain persisted and has gotten worse in past 3-4 months. Anyway, is 8mm a large sized heel spur? My GP seems to think that it's larger than usual. I've got an appt with an orthopedic on Monday but wondering whether I should prepare myself for surgery or other tx options. Any advice would help. thx.

Re: heel spur

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/19/04 at 14:00 (147328)

dtler:
We would be happy to answer your questions but you need a basic understanding about what this is all about. The first step is to read Scott's Heel Pain Book on this site and then return here.
Ed

dtyler on 3/19/04 at 14:35 (147331)

I did read it, it didn't answer my question, that's why I posted it here. Basically, would you consider an 8mm heel spur to be larger than normal?

dr ben pearl on 3/19/04 at 18:18 (147349)

Probably yes, but we often see spurs that
do not cause symptoms. Since yours is,I
generally try Eswt on my patients before
surgically removing a spur.

rose m on 3/20/04 at 08:56 (147382)

does staying off your feet help when you have heel spurs?

Re: Rose

Steve G on 3/20/04 at 11:19 (147395)

Read the heel pain book on this site. It will talk about treatments and the nature of the problem

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/20/04 at 19:48 (147431)

dtyler:

The size of the 'spur' is irrelevant as it has little meaning to the discussion. First of all what we call a 'heel spur' is not really a spur but a shelf of bone across the bottom of the heel at the origin of the plantar fascia. It is termed a 'spur' because x-rays are two dimensional and you are seeing a side view of the shelf which appears as a spur. The only thing that it tells you is that there has been excessive tension in the plantar fascia for an extended period of time. Plantar fascial tension which is excessive is what causes the pain, not the 'spur' as the shelf is simply a protrusion of bone that does not even contact the weight bearing surface of the heel except in soe very rare cases.

There is no size of the shelf of bone that is average, above or below average. Most doctors who perform surgery often ignore the 'spur' and cut the fascia off the bone - eg. EPF. The size of the shelf has no bearing on treatment which is that which is outlined in the Heel Pain Book.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/20/04 at 19:52 (147432)

dtyler:
I just went to the Heel Pain Book and what I just told you is contained in the second paragraph of the book but not worded the same. Perhaps my explaination will be satisfactory to you.
Ed