Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Best New Balance Shoe to wear post-TTS?

Posted by DonnaO on 3/19/04 at 16:44 (147347)

Today marks 5 weeks post Tarsal Tunnel Release Surgery! Things are progressing nicely according to the doctor's expectations. I know it is still a long process but I am patient. My doctor gave me light point and flex exercises to do and wants me to start weaning myself away from the orthopedic boots when I am at home by wearing tennis shoes to get my normal walking gait back with support of the walker. My doctor suggested New Balance walking or running shoes. My dad is taking me out this weekend to look at NB shoes. I looked up NB on the Web and there are several different kinds. Which is the best for those recovering from TTS?:
Walking/running?
best type/model/number?(sooooo many)
lace up/slip on/velcro?

This or any other info would be helpful. Thanks.
DonnaO

Re: Best New Balance Shoe to wear post-TTS?

wendyn on 3/19/04 at 23:46 (147372)

Donna, I suggest you go to a good running store or other reputable shoe store where you can be fitted by someone who has more training than a standard salesperson.

What type of shoe you need will probably depend on your level of pronation, whether or not you where orthotics, and what you'll be doing in your shoes.

DonnaO on 3/19/04 at 23:58 (147373)

Thanks for the info Wendy. My doctor just referred me to a place called Sneaker Shop, Inc. This place has salespeople who are trained as to what type of shoe is best for given foot problems. I als heard that they let you try the shoes for a few days (indoors of course) to see if they are comfortable and if not they let you return them. I am going to try this place out so wish me luck. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the helpful advice. Take care.
DonnaO

wendyn on 3/20/04 at 13:25 (147400)

Donna, it sounds like you have a good doctor and that you're headed off to somewhere that will help you find what you need.

john king on 3/20/04 at 19:59 (147435)

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but I think TTS surgery is the biggest scam in the medical profession. My crooked workers compensation doctor wanted to do this on me. I saw the scar of someone who had it done and no thanks. A lot of reputable orthos won't even do this surgery.

Terry D. on 3/23/04 at 00:10 (147575)

Donna,
Over my lifetime as an active ruuner I found New Balance to be the best.I prior to tts ran in the 991. But post surgery I went up to the 2000gr. Expensive but worth every penny. They now have upgraded to the 2001gr.It's their most technologically advaced shoe. You can get it over the internet for $174.
I bought 3 pair of the 2000's new on ebay....but I just made a seach and didn't see any. They probably will have some this spring as they are usually demos people try on before big race events.
Terry

Mona on 3/24/04 at 13:06 (147673)

I had TTS surgery on Dec/2003. My doctor told me to go out and buy new shoes and sneakers -- if I could afford it. I bought a pair of New Balance sneakers - tie ups, walking sneaker, #WW842WG inside flap. I got the D wide so my orthodics would fit inside. They are very comfortable. My doctor also suggest ECCO brand shoe. I bought a pair of those and also another pair called - SAS -- nurses and waitresses wear them a lot. I got a pair that looks like black sneakers. VERY Comfortable, too.

Good luck.

I'm finally walking with no metal and even got on the treadmill and did four minutes this morning at a very slow pace. Still have some pain but nothing like that I had before surgery.

Mona

Mona on 3/24/04 at 13:11 (147675)

I'm three months post TTS surgery. I'm glad I had it done -- it was in such unbelievable pain before that I couldn't do anything! At least now I can walk, shop for short periods of time, drive, cook a bit and am beginning to get back to normal. Yes, it was a difficult surgery and I got depressed before, during and after the surgery I'm doing much better now -- but it I hadn't had the surgery I truly don't know what I would have done. It was life-saving for me.

Mona

DonnaO on 3/24/04 at 15:21 (147683)

Mona,
Thanks for the info on your shoes and recovery. Your story is very encouraging and put me in a good mood after reading it. I am also glad I had the surgery because I don't have the 'zingers' like before (i,.e .electrical sensations). It is a comfort to know that there are people out there who can relate to how difficult this can be. I wish you continued success on your recovery. Thanks again and have a good day!
DonnaO

DonnaO on 3/25/04 at 16:42 (147787)

Thanks Terri. I will look into what you suggested. I wish you continued success with your recovery.
DonnaO