Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Davis re relative rest

Posted by Robert J on 3/20/04 at 14:20 (147404)

Dr. Davis--

A while back you commented that, with PF, too little walking can be as bad as too much walking. So here's my question: can you define the amount of walking that would be recommended? And if one has over-rested--which I may have done--how do you work your way out of that? Thanks.

Re: Although not Dr. Davis

Steve G on 3/20/04 at 17:47 (147417)

I think I can help with your question. There is not a defined amount or distance he can give you; however, many of us have been in the situation you are in. You will need to slowly increase your walking and see where you are at. At first I would drive to the local mall and walk for 10 minutes. I would wait a day or two to see how my feet reacted. When this did not present a problem, I increased it to 15 minutes, etc, etc. I just got back from a mile walk at the mall, but the key was to increase the distance, if possible, in manageable increments.

In short, let your feet and the level of discomfort be your guide.

Re: Although not Dr. Davis

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/20/04 at 19:17 (147425)

Steve:
I agree with you. I would also add that walking should be performed in a 'protected' fashion in that any biomechanical issues such as overpronation and/or a tight achilles are being dealt with simultaneously.
Ed