Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Veterans administration POD

Posted by john king on 3/20/04 at 19:53 (147433)

I went to my local veterans hospital podiatrist yesterday. She told me that the VA just does not do PF surgery anymore since half the patients got better and half got worse. They got tired of the grief and letters to congressmen. Also, it they make you worse they have to pay compensation. What this tells me is that the surgery is risky because VA hates to pay claims for failed surgery. She said except for the most serious cases they just did not do the surgery. We are talking where the person can't walk anymore.

Re: Veterans administration POD

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/22/04 at 19:28 (147553)

Understandable. For some reason, it is the path of least resistance to insurance company reimbursement -- go figure. The third parties are fighting conservative treatment like orthotics and ESWT which are the safest and most effective ways to go. We are all waiting for the day this will change. The first step, in my opinion, involves releiving the insurance companies of some of their decision making power.