Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Numb Feet

Posted by Connie on 3/21/04 at 15:17 (147477)

I am a 50 year old male with a history of numb feet for four years. The numbness is in the front half of the foot of both feet. I have undergone numerous tests with neurologists including nerve conduction studies the result being a diagnosis of neuropathy. I also have a potential herniated disc between the fourth and fifth vertibrae in my back. The doctors don't believe there is any correlation. All other tests show negative (including blood sugar or diabetes) except an occasionally elevated liver functions. I've changed shoes often and rarely wear them except in public. I've been told I just have to live with this and not to bother them unless it progresses up my feet or I have a lot of pain. Any ideas? Thanks very much for your help.

Re: Numb Feet

Dr. Z on 3/21/04 at 15:42 (147479)

You may want to contact Dr. Dellon from Baltimore. He specializes in neuropath

goose on 3/22/04 at 14:19 (147524)

There is drug call Neurotin for neuropathy. My mom has numb feet from chemo and back surgery and this drug has helped a lot with no real side effects for her.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/22/04 at 19:20 (147550)

Neurontin is helpful if it is a painful neuropathy but does not help the numbness itself.

How closely has the L4, L5 situation been looked at? MRI? Any mention of L5, S1?