Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eswt

Posted by carolyn p on 3/22/04 at 12:25 (147510)

I had eswt surgery about 10 days ago and I am still in a lot of pain.when can I expect relief? My doctor said to stay off my foot,but this is inpossible.I teach school.Any help you can give me?

Re: eswt

Dr. Z on 3/22/04 at 12:36 (147512)

Hi

Taping, Futuro elastic support. May need a foot slipper cast. Are you in more pain now then before the ESWT treatment

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/22/04 at 19:11 (147545)

carolyn:
ESWT takes about 12 weeks to work -- I hope your doctor discussed that with you. ESWT is not a substitute for other treatments so continue other modalities such as physical therapy, orthotics, night splints...

Can a rubber tread mat be placed in the area you stand?
Can you wear a good pair of running shoes (eg. New Balance 1122) to work?
What type of orthotics are you using?
Ed

dr ben pearl on 3/22/04 at 19:20 (147549)

try z-coil shoes for even more cushioning if runnning shoes are not relieving pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/22/04 at 19:22 (147551)

Ben:
I own a pair. Definitely a good intermediate term option. They very much act like a high heel so one would need to be cautious about the long term, alternating them with another type of shoe, to avoid heel cord shortening.
Ed

Mandy G. on 3/23/04 at 11:41 (147616)

Carolyn- I had ESWT surgery last October and it took a good 6-8 weeks before I was completely pain free. I have bought some shoes called Soft Walk and I find they are extremely comfortable to live and work in! They are not cheap but well worth the money. My ESWT was truly successful you just have to give it lots of time.