Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 weeks post TTS, bone spur removal and plantar fasciotomy

Posted by Mair on 3/23/04 at 13:34 (147621)

Hi all,
Boy do I wish I had found this board sooner!

A little about me and hopefully this will give any of you who are recovering some hope!

After a year of conservative treatment, I decided to undergo the TTS release surgery. I had other problems as well: plantar fasciitis as wella s a very prominent bone spur. I did the exercises, did the anti-inflammatory meds, steroid injections and all that jazz. I was still in alot of pain. My foot problems were aggravated during my pregnancy. I held off treatment in 2001 because I had a new baby and who had time to be laid up after surgery? As the pain and numbness got worse, I finally was sent for an EMG and Nerve Conduction Study. Both of these tests really did not indicate I had any nerve issues at all. I was also sent for an MRI and that came back negative as well. Meanwhile, I had constant heel pain from the plantar faciitis and the numbness in my foot was getting worse. So I finally just said, schedule the surgery. My doctor indicated that sometimes the sophisticated tests just don't answer all the questions. The simple tinel test was the best indicator and sent shocks up my leg and down the tips of my toes. As it turns out, my doctor told me it was the worst case of TTS and the largest bone spur she's ever seen in her career! I had two muscles impinging my nerve as well as some veins causing pressure.

It has been 4 weeks and I have to say, it feels pretty good! I am not pain free, mind you, but it is better than the pain and numbness I was feeling. I have no pain in the TTS release incision at all. All of the pain I am having is from where the bone spur was removed, dead center in my heel. I was on crutches and in a posterior cast for two weeks, then in a large air boot to the knee and as of this week I am alternating between the regular surgical shoe and sneakers. The range of motion in my ankle itself is at about 90% and I am told with regular exercises in the next few weeks, it will get better. I go back to work on 3/29, so I was out for a total of 4 weeks.

I'm not gonna be running marathons anytime soon, but it sure is nice to be able to keep up with my two year old. I do try and rest regularly and elevate it often. There is still some swelling in my ankle so I take care to ice it each evening before bed....I also slather lots of cocoa butter on the scar to keep it pliable...it does tend to feel really tight after periods of inactivity.

Sorry for the babble, but I wanted to share my story. I hope you all are pain free very soon!

Re: 4 weeks post TTS, bone spur removal and plantar fasciotomy

lauriel on 3/23/04 at 16:17 (147633)

glad to hear you are doing well on your post op! I had TTS surgery 12/2 and doing pretty good. DO they have you in doing PT? I highly recommend it and as for your incision, I would check with your Dr about massaging it. This was a must from what my PT said about not creating scar tissue.basicly creating kind of a friction motion on each side while you are going down on one side of the incision the other side you are going up. The reason I mention this is they say the 31 failure rate of TTS surgery is the scar tissue that develops impeding the nerve again.
good luck in your recovery!

Re: 4 weeks post TTS, bone spur removal and plantar fasciotomy

chrisb on 3/24/04 at 11:07 (147668)

Mair thank you for posting your experience. I'm 3 weeks behind you surgery-wise (TTS only) and it cheers me to know that in 4 weeks you can be in sneakers.
My post-op information mentions a steroid cream that I can apply to the scar later on. You might like to enquire of your doc whether this would be helpful in your case.