Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Type of Doctor to repair fractured sesamoid

Posted by Mike L. on 3/24/04 at 13:45 (147678)

I have a medial fractured sesamoid and my HMO is insisting that their orthopedic surgeon do the removal of the sesamoid bone. He is a hand specialist. I am uneasy about having this done by someone that does not specialize in foot injuries. My excellent podiatrist, who has 20 years of surgical experience, does not feel comfortable to do this type of surgery. The hand specialist told me 'it was no big deal'. Do I have reason to worry?

Re: Type of Doctor to repair fractured sesamoid

Dr. Z on 3/24/04 at 20:47 (147702)

With experience it is a very straight forward procedure. Without experience it can be a very difficult procedure and lead to injury to the Flexor tendon. Demand a foot and ankle specialists

Re: Type of Doctor to repair fractured sesamoid

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/27/04 at 11:38 (147944)

Caution! The hallucal sesamoids give push off strength to the big toe so removing them should be a LAST RESORT!