Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics

Posted by Karen on 3/24/04 at 18:23 (147697)

My POD sold me custom orthotics that are 3/4 length semi-ridgid leather. It is hard to tell if I'M getting enough arch support. Has anyone seen these before. At $400 I think my POD was thinking profit, not patient's best interest. Is there a better option. I had ESWT six months ago and I'm still waiting for even a little improvement.

Re: Orthotics

Dr. Z on 3/24/04 at 18:33 (147698)

Hi Karen

Have you discussed a 2nd round of ESWT treatment. Many patients will achieve benefit from a 2nd treatment even with very little relief from a first treatment

Richard, C.Ped on 3/26/04 at 07:55 (147807)

Did your insurance pay for them??

Karen on 3/26/04 at 13:17 (147847)

Richard, yes my insurance paid for 80% of them although I would pay for a better product. Actually, there are several problems. The heel is lower than my toes which causes my calfs to pull on the fascia. The arch seems to cave in (I have a high arch and an inflammed fascia). The top shell is slippery causing my socks (foot) to slide forward. The heel cup does not fit my heel when I have socks on. There is padding under the ball and toes, and no padding under the heel (I have a bony heel). Any advice where I could go to get a good quality orthotic?

Karen on 3/26/04 at 13:26 (147849)

Richard, yes my insurance paid for 80% of them although I would pay for a better product. Actually, there are several problems. The heel is lower than my toes which causes my calfs to pull on the fascia. The arch seems to cave in (I have a high arch and an inflammed fascia). The top shell is slippery causing my socks (foot) to slide forward. The heel cup does not fit my heel when I have socks on. There is padding under the ball and toes, and no padding under the heel (I have a bony heel). Any advice where I could go to get a good quality orthotic?

Richard, C.Ped on 3/29/04 at 15:58 (148080)

Yes. Here. haha.
I wish I could take care of you. You are not in South Carolina by chance are you ??? hee hee. sorry, I had to give a shameless plug.

I would look for a C.Ped in your area to talk to. There may actually be a few in the same area which will allow you to compare notes.

Try this link. It should help in the C.Ped search.
http://www.pedorthics.org/framed11.html

If you find some, please feel free to get back with me about what they told you regarding casting and materials. I will be more than happy to help in any way I can.
Richard