Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Off work and on crutches now

Posted by JudyP on 3/24/04 at 20:43 (147701)

I have been initially diagnosed with PF on both feet 1-1/2 years ago. Having run most of my adult life and not wearing the proper supports, my arches have collapsed. My left foot is the most painful.

Anything that needed to be done, was done. I have used this website for advise and information. I am now on my third week on sick leave. My doctor is confused whether it is either PF or TTS, as the symptoms are not consistant with either. There is not too much morning pain, and my feet are most relaxed in the morning. It is towards the afternoon that the pain starts. My calves and plantar fascia are very tight and originally the pain was in the heels and along the outer sides of my feet. I have now developed very disturbing aches in the heels, soles and toes that radiate up the legs. When the feet get cold the aches are the worse and my feet are always cold. Only solution is to prop my feet up for an hour covered with a blanket. When this pain strikes I am exhausted. I am on the a wait list for the Orthopaedic Surgeon, but they will not even look at my case until May and it may be months before an appointment is available. A podiatrist treated my feet recently and taped my feet and told me to leave it on for two days. This was very painful after only a few hours (the deep aches in the heel and soles that radiates). My podiatrist does not believe surgery will correct my condition.

My regular doctor will not send me to a neurologist as I had requested and just told me to completely rest and use crutches or wheelchair. He doesn't think there is a problem since I had a nerve test done one year ago which was normal. I have been on Gabapentin now for several days and have felt more of a numbing cold sensation in both feet.

To conclude, last month I was walking with pain. Now I am not walking, and feel even more pain and aches that ever before. It seems all my muscles are in spasms especially around my feet.

Tell me, is this normal to feel these symptoms as I rest? Could it be that I just feel more pain due to lack of activity? I do try to stretch, but not too hard as that seems to cause pain as well.

Any thoughts? I'm desperate.

Re: Off work and on crutches now

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/26/04 at 23:06 (147906)

You need to have an NCV/EMG in order to help differentiate TTS from PF. You do not need to have your family doctor refer you to a neurologist -- just look one up in the phone book and make an appointment for yourself.
If you have an HMO that requires a family doc referral, get a new family doctor or call the HMO to complain.

Re: Off work and on crutches now

JudyP on 3/27/04 at 18:36 (147977)

Thanks for the advise. I will call this Monday.