Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Dr. Z

Posted by bill M on 3/24/04 at 22:17 (147711)

I see that you often ask people considering ESWT if they have heel pain the first thing in the morning, if so they are a candidate for ESWT, what about a person with PF with no first step pain?

Re: To Dr. Z

bill M on 3/24/04 at 22:18 (147712)

If anyone else other than Dr. Z would like to respond to my previous question please do.

Steve G on 3/24/04 at 22:51 (147715)

Bill - I think Dr.Z has the most success with people that have 'first step pain', but the lack of it does not mean that you cannot have, and benefit from, ESWT. The questions is how much of the pain is at the insertion point, since that is the area they treat. If a lot of your pain is in the heel, you may well get benefit. If the pain is more distal (in the arch), then you probably won't get much benefit. I never had first step pain, but a lot of my pain was in my heel. So, although ESWT did not cure me, it lead to a definite reduction in pain.

Bill M on 3/24/04 at 23:07 (147719)

Yes, my pain is in the heel, I am glad you saw some relief. How long was it after the procedure until you saw relief?

Steve G on 3/25/04 at 13:31 (147770)

I noticted a difference at 8 weeks

Dr. Z on 3/25/04 at 15:49 (147782)

It is my opinion that they don't respond as well as patients with classic first step am pain. All of the FDA studies and literature include only patients that have this specific type of pain syndrome.

Anne H. on 3/25/04 at 19:29 (147794)

I experienced only first-step pain for the first 12 months of my PF. Over the last 9 months I no longer have first-step pain, it's a constant burning at the insertion point. Based on these changes in symptoms and your post, I'm probably not a good candidate for ESWT. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for addressing my question, Dr. Z.

Dr. Z on 3/25/04 at 19:38 (147795)

Anne

I would rule out nerve entrapment and or tarsal tunnel syndrome. Burning,
numbness are just a few of the common TTS symtoms.