Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does not have to be limited to heel pain?

Posted by JudyB on 3/25/04 at 09:38 (147742)

>It does not have to be limited to heel pain.

That what it says in the header. I thought ESWT was only for PF with heel pain.

Re: Does not have to be limited to heel pain?

elliott on 3/25/04 at 10:49 (147749)

JudyB, I think it means we're allowed to discuss other uses of ESWT, such as shoulder/elbow tendinopathies, nonunion of fractures, common cold :-), etc.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/26/04 at 23:23 (147912)

Judy:
Manufacturers ,in the US, are only allowed to list FDA approved indications for their machines (similar situation with drugs). Doctors, on the other hand, are allowed to discuss FDA approved and FDA non-approved (off label) treatments (including drugs) with patients.
Ed

JudyB on 3/26/04 at 23:48 (147919)

Ed, does this mean that ESWT can be used for other areas in the foot besides the heel? Most of my pain is in the distal area (although sometimes the heel hurts too).

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/02/04 at 19:48 (148325)

Judy:
The official FDA approved indication for ESWT on the foot is limited to insertional PF. it can be used in other locations on an 'off label' basis.
Ed

OLu on 4/09/04 at 09:16 (148618)

Does the success rate differ from other parts of the foot though? It sounds like from its origins in breaking up kidney stones, to treating heel spurs, that it might not be as effective in the middle of the foot (which involves only fascia and not bony growths, as I understand the problem), length-wise (where I have PF in both feet).

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/10/04 at 11:50 (148655)

OLu:
This is an area of ongoing research but we know, for example, that ESWT is more effective, when treating the elbow for lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) tha medial epicondylitis (golfers elbow).
Ed

Oliver L on 5/10/04 at 13:18 (150334)

Hi

What I meant was, I have plantar fasciitis (in both feet), but it is not in the heel, it is sort of halfway up the foot, longitudinally.