Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Morton's Foot?

Posted by francesc on 3/25/04 at 12:08 (147758)

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, my physical therapist looked at my feet and said that I presented all the symptoms of something called Morton's Foot. I looked it up in my Trigger Points workbook by Davies and it's there and sure enough, I have all the symptoms of it.

I have been wearing a temporary pad just below my first metasarsal pad and believe it or not, it has been giving me quite a bit of relief! I will continue for the rest of the week until I see him again (he said to give a week).

I am still guarded about the success of this because I've tried just about everything for my PF.

Has anyone heard of anything about this? I tried doing a search on this site and didn't come up with much...

Thanks,
Frances

Re: Morton's Foot?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/27/04 at 12:03 (147950)

francesc:
There is no such thing, exactly. Dudley Morton, MD wrote one of the first comprehensive textbooks on foot problems in 1953. A whole bunch of stuff got named after him and many are quite confused about the terms (few have read his book). Basically, there are two things he is particularly 'famous' for:
1) Morton's neuroma -- an enlarged pinched nerve usually between the bases of the third and fourth toes.
2)Morton's toe-- sometimes referred to as a Morton's foot type. This involves a short first metatarsal which fails to bear its fair share of weight across the ball of the foot. Weight is thus transferred to the lessor metatarsal heads ('knuckle' joints) of the foot.
Ed

Re: Morton's Foot?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/27/04 at 12:05 (147952)

ps.
If you have a 'Morton's foot type' it is imperative that you have an orthotic with excellent midtarsal joint support. If your provider does not understand this, then switch to someone who has this knowledge.
Ed