Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Getting adjusted to the sun..........

Posted by marie on 3/29/04 at 18:38 (148095)

My turtles are getting bigger. They are also getting very active. I think they are very aware that spring is on its way. Socrates is a painted turtle and Aristotle is a Musk Turtle or 'Stinkpot'.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b37364aa45b2

Re: Getting adjusted to the sun..........

Peggy on 3/31/04 at 20:47 (148224)

I have 2 ornate box turtles that I hibernate outside. The female came out of hibernation about a month ago (we had several days of 96 degrees) and the male came out 2 weeks ago. They too are becoming very active. Definitely a sign that spring is here.

marie on 4/05/04 at 17:08 (148439)

I never knew how much fun turtles are. They are so smart. They definately know their names and they love to beg....almost as bad as our dog. Well these two little guys will be out in the backyard in a week or two. They were so tiny when I got them that I've kept them in an aquarium until they got a little bigger. I think they're ready now.

Do you have names for your turtles?

Peggy on 4/06/04 at 19:43 (148490)

The male is Boots and the female is Buttercup. I let my son-in-law name the male. He never had animals growing up so he always wanted a pet named Boots. Mine are ornate box turtles. They are very entertaining but quite persnickity.

marie on 4/07/04 at 19:55 (148560)

I'd love to have some box turtles in my garden but I'm afraid my cats and dog would torment them. We have a water pond out back that I'm in the process of turning into the ideal habitat for my little turtles. I just got done emptying the whole pond and it was really nasty.....phewy! Our pump gave out last fall and we decided to wait until spring to get a new one. I'm going to plant my water plants in a clothes basket. The basket will be in the middle of the pond so the turtles will have a small tropical island to sunbath on. I'm also making a set of stairs for my dog just in case she falls in....I'd like her to be able to get out, she's a tiny mini dachsund. She's not allowed out back without supervision but I still want to be careful. She discovered the frogs tonight while I was working on the pond we may have to move them back to the lake.

best wishes marie

Peggy on 4/08/04 at 15:10 (148596)

We built a fairly large enclosure that I planted with native plants. I lift the top every morning when they are not hibernating and close it at night. My cats are intrigued but they all have come to an understanding. I suspect one of the cats got nipped. We have raccoons that come through at night on occasion so the enclosure protects them from the wildlife. They are quite happy and suspect we might have eggs in a couple of months. I also have a small pond but haven't gone the turtle route on this. We actually have our pond in a cat enclosure that is 20x12. We put the cats in there if they want to be out and we are going to be gone etc. It has shelves, beds and catnip planted. We have had cats fish, though.

marie on 4/08/04 at 20:32 (148604)

Our whole back yard is about as big as your cat enclosure. We do have a tall privacy fence so the cats are allowed out with us there. I tore my backyard up a few years ago and turned it into a moss garden Japanese style. It's a very nice jungle now.

I just finished turtle island. I ditched the clothes basket idea and used a small circular pond. It sits on two bricks. We drilled holes in the sides and filled it with cat litter and pea gravel. I planted my water lilies, irises, and some Chinese grass in it. Topped it with river rock and drift wood. The bricks will give the turtles a safe underwater caves and caverns. Although we live in the midst of a bustling small town we have had an occasional coon and kitty vistors so I want them to have a hiding place. Now all we need is some warm weather. It's still in the 40's and 50's here.