Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

over pronation

Posted by Bill M on 3/29/04 at 22:06 (148110)

Does anyone know of a connection between over pronation and heel pain? If so please comment.

Re: over pronation

Chris I on 3/29/04 at 22:35 (148111)

The podorthist I saw said that I pronate and that puts stress on the fascia....which makes sense.

Brett on 3/30/04 at 03:04 (148113)

Over-pronation is a biomechanical problem that can lead to heel pain. For a more detailed expalnation:
http://www.orthodynamics.com/common.html#PRONATION

Carlos N. on 3/30/04 at 10:42 (148126)

Bill:

I overpronate, too. There's plenty of information on the web and articles written that helps explain excessive-pronation. Educating yourself is fundamental in treating your heel pain. This site is probably the best resource I have found. Also, if you have a podiatrist have him explain it to you and work with him to solve your problem.

It's been very painful for me but I am making some progress and hopefully some new custom orthotics wil do the trick for me.

Good luck,
Carlos

.Karen on 3/31/04 at 09:54 (148179)

There seems to be a correlation between over-pronation and a low arch. My POD thinks I overpronate even though I have a high arch - I disagree. Because of his incorrect diagnosis, my custom orthotics caused more harm than good. I agree with Carlos, educate yourself first. Then, once you are armed with information, seek a professional evaluation.

Cindy W-A on 3/31/04 at 10:40 (148182)

I have high arches and I also overpronate. I've been told it's an unusual combination. Good arch support that prevents my foot from rolling so much has helped my heel pain quite a bit.

JudyS on 3/31/04 at 12:17 (148191)

Cindy, what kind of arch support are you using?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/31/04 at 23:46 (148237)

Arch height and pronation are two totally different things. The height of the arch is simply a structural consideration. Pronation is a motion, the motion of the foot rolling in after it contacts the ground. If the foot rolls in too much it may make the arch appear lower. it is possible to have very low arches and not overpronate and have high arches but pronate.
Ed

Cindy W-A on 4/02/04 at 10:40 (148298)

Judy - I was actually referring to the arch support in my orthotics. I wear Amfit orthotics which, after a couple of adjustments, seem to be helping.