Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I guess the nerves are starting to wake up

Posted by Elaine T on 3/30/04 at 12:29 (148135)

Ouch - I am in pain; you all know the type - like someone is sticking a needle under the nail of my big toe, pins and needles in my arch and heel, sometimes the foot twitches with mild pain.

And my heel hurts; I had that when I was still in my splint, and assumed it was from that. But, fortunately, I've seen several of you report heel pain, so I'm assuming that it's normal. Waiting for that Darvocet refill to be ready - ow,ow,ow

Re: I guess the nerves are starting to wake up

Deb S. on 3/30/04 at 14:02 (148140)

Hi, Elaine: I'm new to this site and have seen several of your messages as you've gone through the surgery process. I have been in constant pain for 2.5 yrs. and most recently had a PF release done in December 2003. Procedure did not work, and my POD now thinks I may have TTS. He is sending me for a NCV this week. Personnaly, I believe it was the orthodics that set me off . . they hurt!

I can see today that you are in pain, but I have noted that you have been making progress post surgical. My question is . . are you still happy with the results of your procedure? I am very apprehensive about having surgery should my doctor advise this. I, too, cannot stand for more than several minutes without being in pain; my pain is almost constant even while at rest. I have been wearing a new type of shoe called a ZCoil, and this has given me measurable relief; however, my symptoms never go away. Wish this nightmare was over.

Elaine T on 3/30/04 at 15:25 (148147)

Deb, to tell you the truth, until I know whether or not the surgery worked, I can't say if I'm happy with the results. The pains I'm having today are totally normal following any type of nerve surgery. I seem to be experiencing the same things as others here who had surgery before me. I've been relatively pain-free until now, but I never expected this to be an easy ride. Nerves don't like being manipulated, and they retaliate!!!

For me, it's not about being glad I had this surgery, it's just that I had to try. My surgeon told it may or may not work, but I wanted to do it. It's a very personal decision, Deb, and not one to be made lightly.

Deb S. on 3/30/04 at 15:47 (148148)

Elaine: Thank you for your honesty. I am perplexed that we can send people to the moon and launch a module to Mars, but we can't seem to succeed with common foot ailments such as ours. I am suspicious with the aggressive therapy I've been through over the last year, these measures have caused my TTS. It is very frustrating.