Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF 'cures'

Posted by Stephen S. on 4/01/04 at 06:59 (148245)

I have had PF for 18 months (the symptoms are bilateral arch pain while standing and walking, with the pain increasing during the day, rather than pain on walking after getting out of bed).
I have tried most things (rest, prescription orthotics, lots of stretching, calf muscle massage, ice, etc) and nothing seems to work. Have just started using a night splint. My questions to you are:
- with the right orthotics, rest, regular stretching and massage, night splint, is it just a matter of doing the right things and the PF will eventually go away?
- what do you think of silicone dynamic orthotics, as advertised by 'Dr Kiper' on this web site?
- should I try ESWT? is there any harm in it?
- what about Mike Young's MRT?
- any other suggestions?
- can I snow ski with PF?
I am going mad, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: PF 'cures'

HilaryG on 4/01/04 at 07:23 (148247)

Stephen- I have your type of PF (known as Atypical PF) and the only thing that helped me is ART (Active Release Techniques) which is performed by a chiropractor. Actually Mike Young's MRT sounds a lot like ART. Anyway I have been going for ART treatments regularly once a week for over a year now and I feel pretty much like a normal person with only an ocassional twinge of pain. I did have setback at one time when I tried an exercise bike and I went at it a bit too entusiastically. Anyway I'm lucky because my insurance covers my treatment and I only have to pay $15 a week copay. ART has given me back my life. Good luck to you. Hilary

JudyP on 4/01/04 at 10:33 (148259)

What is ART. It seems like something that I would like to look into. Do all Chiropractors perform these? The pains mentioned are similar as the poster.

Carlos N. on 4/01/04 at 11:28 (148263)

Stephen,

Hilary is right. I did one session with a trained massage therapist in my area who does the Michael Young technique. It was a tremendous help because I am very taut in my calf muscles and hamstrings. The therapist gave me a few excercises to do to get me started. I would highly recommend the investment because it will show you where your weakest areas exist and what you need to focus on. Also, the Stretch Book by Jim and Phil Wharton is an excellent resource to have. I'll give you the link below to get you started.

I've had PF for over ten years now and I feel stupid for not being proactive about it. It's been chronic for awhile now. The key is rest, the stretching excerises, ice, the right kind of shoe(s), and a good pair of orthotics. Hold off on ESWT until you do at least 6 months of conservative treatment. The night splint is an excellent way to get started. Keep posting and checking back for information. I'm getting better now and I feel better. Be patient and don't give up.

http://www.aistretch.com/exercises.htm

Carlos

RACHAEL T. on 4/01/04 at 13:07 (148266)

I have done all the conserv. treatments + ESWT in the past 3 years of this PF journey. On 12/20th/03, I began to wear SDO's by Dr. Kiper - they have helped me alot. I have been much more active & have taken less meds since I began to wear the SDOs.....soooo? I can only say that they've helped me along with Brooks sneakers & Birks; & of course, I've changed my lifestyle in order to increase my possibility of healing. Good luck with your choices - & that is truly what it is ..... a series of choices of care & a series of changes from 1 to another periodically that seem to work for most of us PF'rs!

Bud P on 4/03/04 at 00:45 (148345)

Hilary,
I had the ART and it made my PF worse. I eventually had EPF surgery and it seems to be a success.

Bud

HilaryG on 4/03/04 at 07:07 (148348)

ART can give you you a great deal of pain in the beginning. But it is a different kind of pain and it is only temporary . You ahve to hang in there and it is worth it. At least that is MY experience. As I have said ART has given me back my life. I would recommend it to anyone with PF and especially anyone with atypical PF. Hilary

HilaryG on 4/03/04 at 07:10 (148349)

Bud- I am sorry you had a bad experience. I am curious as to how many treatments you had.

HilaryG on 4/03/04 at 07:23 (148350)

Bud- I am very happy that your surgery was a success. Congratulations.

Re: PF 'cures' to Hilary

Bud P on 4/03/04 at 14:14 (148360)

Hilary,
I think I went 3 times a week for 4 weeks. A massage therapist who worked for the chiropractor gave me the treatments. It was just something else I tried before I had the surgery.