Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A Good Day!!!!!!!

Posted by DonnaO on 4/01/04 at 10:37 (148260)

Happy April to everyone!

I wanted to post an update on my progress. I had TTS on February 13 and just returned from my 7 week post op visit. THe doctor says that things look good. I still have a bit of numbness on the top of my feet and toes but it gets better every day. I have mild swelling at the surgical area which he also says is normal but improves daily. I am completely off the surgical boots and he says I can wear my tennis shoes (Asics/New Balance) completely now!!! He gave me some additional light stretches and says I can do stationary bike and swimming for exercise. He also released me to drive!!! I am still home from work but hope to return in a few weeks since I don't want to get overconfident and have a setback. I don't feel any of the pain I had before the surgery and am just feeling the surgical effects mentioned above. Even though I know that this is still a long process and I have to limit my activity, I consider this a success story. These message boards are so great for support and encouragement. I hope everyone who is going through this is doing well. Have a great day!!!
DonnaO

Re: A Good Day!!!!!!!

Deb S. on 4/01/04 at 15:52 (148270)

Donna: So glad to hear you are doing well. I am having my nerve conduction test done tomorrow, and I understand it is quite painful. Not looking forward to this. I really believe I probably have tendonitis caused by overuse of my feet/ankles. I've had PF for 2.5 yrs. and most recently had surgery for PF release in December on my right foot. Things did not improve. Pain is the same in both feet and only getting worse. I don't want another surgery, and I certainly do not want to be laid up for months and months in recovery. I am happy to hear things are going well for you. I am interested to hear why so long out of work? Do you have a job where you are on your feet a lot?

DonnaO on 4/01/04 at 16:49 (148271)

I am a third grade teacher and was on my feet for most of the day. I attempted to return to work 2 weeks after surgery but underestemated how difficult the recovery time would be. I felt I couldn't successfully take care of my feet and be an effective teacher with surgical boots on both feet and a walker. The extra time off definitely made a huge difference and so far has helped make this surgery successful. I am looking forward to returning and being active again.
I think you will do fine with the Nerve Conduction Test. I had one back in December to confirm it was indeed Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and was also nervous. It is actually not bad at all. On me, the technician had this device that had two small prongs on it. She placed it on different areas ranging from the back of my knees down to my feet. When she pressed the button each time, she told me it was coming and what to expect. It sends signals that are so quick and remind me of the dull sensation you feel after you bump your elbow and hit your funny bone. The feeling to me was not nearly as sharp as when you touch a doornob and shock yourself. After the first few signals, I got used to it and it didn't bother me. One thing that helped keep my mind off of it was that the technician kept talking to me. It sounds alot worse than it actually is but is actually a breeze.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
DonnaO

chrisb on 4/02/04 at 08:16 (148288)

Deb don't worry about the nerve conduction test being painful. It really isn't. I had two -- the EMG/NCV type where they gave little zaps through two ekectrodes on my foot and ankle was literally like little zaps. Nothing like a big electric shock or anything. And the PSSD type just applies two small prongs to your skin with no zap at all. So whichever test you're schedulked for,don't worry its a breeze.
Chris

chrisb on 4/02/04 at 08:21 (148289)

Congrats Donna. Good for you, and have fun swimming. Have you been doing water walking before now?

DonnaO on 4/02/04 at 10:26 (148297)

Good morning Chris and thank you. I did swimming/some water walking before the surgery but haven't since I had the surgery. At the gym I belong to, there is a nice size indoor pool for swimming laps and other water exercise. When my sister took her son to swim last Saturday, it was closed for repairs and is supposed to be open this weekend hopefully. I am really looking forward to getting back into some exercise.
How is your pain and swelling? Has it improved much? Take things one day at a time.
DonnaO

Deb S. on 4/02/04 at 11:44 (148305)

Hi, Donna: Had my nerve conduction test this morning, and you were right. It wasn't that bad. The only uncomfortable part was the 2nd phase where the doctor inserted a 2 inch needle into several areas of my leg and ran electricity through it to see how my nerves would react. This was a little painful, but I've had worse. The doctor didn't notice anything significant but is going to read the results and send them off to my doctor. I really believe I have tentonitis in my feet from overuse as I was very active with aerobics and step classes. I hope my doctor can find a remedy for me very soon. Hope you are coming along as well; it sounds like you've developed a recovery plan that works for you. My best to you.

chrisb on 4/02/04 at 16:54 (148319)

Pain & swelling here is pretty good now Donna. Almost too good -- I'm tempted to ditch the walker and just use a cane around the house. But I'm trying to take it slow, stitches don't come out for another 5 days. At this point are you still elevating your foot much?

DonnaO on 4/02/04 at 22:58 (148339)

I usually elavate the feet when putting ice on them since I have some expected swelling due to the fact that I am walking more and in tennis shoes. I notice an improvement in how I feel when I alternate between elevating the feet and sitting with my feet on the ground. I notice they are the most sore when I have been sitting in one position for a long time. My doctor says I don't need to elevate my foot much now except for when I want to ice them as stated above.
I am glad to hear that the pain and swelling are improving. When I wanted to start walking more, the doc said do what I could tolerate and limit my activity. I am sure your surgeon will not mind if you called him for his opinion as to how much you should walk because everyone is different. Be careful and I am glad you are taking it slow. You may want to use the walker when you are taking longer trips in the house (i.e. hallway) so you do not lose balance and fall down. Remember to be extra careful with your stitches to prevent infection and separation of the skin. When the doc removed my staples, it felt so much more comfortable because he said I could wear white socks under the boots instead of the dressing. I hope this is encouraging and helpful. Take care.
DonnaO

Elaine T on 4/05/04 at 19:30 (148449)

Donna, thank you for such a positive message.