Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Three too many

Posted by Karole M on 4/02/04 at 11:24 (148302)

I moved to a new home 2 years ago and during construction I slipped down the steps to the basement. I hit my heel on the edge of the step and I fractured my heel. After a course of treatment for this injury I still was experiencing pain. My DR said that he thought it was plantar fascia. Did the usual: orthopedic and shots, then first surgery for plantar fascia. Was still in pain 3 months later, shots again and a bad reaction to cortisone and I can't take NSAIDS, was told it was probably a bone spur. Surgery #2, was the open heel type. Four months later it still was extremely painful and I was unable to walk without crutches. Then we did Surgery #3, again open heel type to remove more of the pad of my foot.
Was told that I still had plenty of pad and no degenerative damage. This time I was in a wheelchair for 3 months, crutches for a month and now am using a cane. I can't even go to the store without using an electric chair. Went back to my doctor 4/l/04...now he believes that it may be tarsal tunnel syndrome. He believes that there is something wrong with my foot and has referred me to another doctor that specializes in heel pain and has told me that I would probably have to have another surgery
to rectify my problem. (It is not my doctors fault-I have known him for over 20 years and have great trust in his judgement). I am 55 years old and have become almost bedridden, gained 20 lbs, and am 150 lbs. now.
I would like to hear from someone who has had this TTS surgery and what can I expect from it. Thank you so much..I love to garden and can't.

Re: Three too many

chrisb on 4/02/04 at 17:06 (148321)

Karole I'm not a doc, and my heel pain experience is different from yours. But I think that nerves can sometimes be accidentally affected by fasciotomy surgery. It might be worth searching for papers on this.

monica s on 4/06/04 at 08:10 (148466)

I had the tarrsel tunnel surgery 6-30-04.To keep it short but sweet i was better off before the surgery.i was in a cast for seven weeks.and have been in therapy ever since.good luck

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/06/04 at 23:45 (148508)

Karole:
Why did your doctor not offer you a complete course of conservative treatment before moving on to surgery?
Ed

Dr. Z on 4/07/04 at 20:03 (148561)

What kind of pain are you having? Do you have first step morning pain. Do you have classic TTS numbness, burning, where is your pain located? On the plantar fascia area insertional area ? IF you have the classic first step pain and there is pain where the plantar fascia attached and you have had an MRI to further evaluate your feet it is possible that ESWT could help you. Why does your doctor thnk you hae TTS.

Karole M on 4/08/04 at 02:20 (148575)

Dr. Davis:

My DR did do the convervative treatment first and then the PF surgery. This did not work - painful - could not walk - second surgery for neuroma.
Third to remove some pad to relieve pain..this has not worked and he has
referred me to another DR. This doctor is now sending me to a neurologist.
He told me also that he feels I have TTS. I am allergic to cortisone and can't take steroids either. Should I go to a surgeon instead of my podiatrist?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/10/04 at 11:41 (148650)

Karole:
You listed very few conservative treatments. Please see Scott's Heel Pain Book so you will see what a more comprehensive coourse of conservative treatment would be like. For example, was ESWT tried before surgery?
Ed

Karole M on 4/13/04 at 11:24 (148804)

Dr. Davis,

I printed off the heel pain book and I am shocked to see all the alternatives for my foot pain besides having 3 surgeries. Give me a little time to digest all this information. We don't have ESWT in Nashville, Tn. and at this point I can't afford to go to Canada. I have not been able to work in years. Thanks for your reply.
Sincerely,
Karole

Re: Three IS WAY TOO many

BrianG on 4/14/04 at 13:29 (148874)

Hi Karole M,

I haven't posted much lately, but when I read your story, thoughts of malpractice jumped right out at me. I think you should give some second thoughts on how much you trust your orginal doctor. You don't mention him testing you for TTS at all, during your surgical nightmares. I know you may think he's the greatest, but if he failed to rule out TTS, before cutting you each time, you may have just gone thru 3 needless, painfull surgeries. Each one could lead to further problems.

I have a couple suggestions for you. Get a 2nd opinion on the TTS, then consider speaking with an attorney if your doctor blew your original diagnosis. Next, if you think that you will be disabled for the next 12 months, it's time to talk with your doctor about filing for Social Security Disability. From what you have described, I really think you have a good chance for a judgment in your favor. Others have won their cases, myself included.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: It is probably way too early to consider ESWT. Give yourself at least a year after your last surgery, to see how much you may recover. Then, do your homework on ESWT, it isn't the cure all some people would suggest, especially after you have had major foot / heel surgeries.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/14/04 at 16:11 (148888)

Karole:
One does not have to go to Canada for ESWT; it has been available in the US for quite a while now, first with Ossatron and then with Dornier and Sonorex. Check http://www.sonorex.com and http://www.unitedshockwave.com for locations close to you.
Ed