Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in lateral side of left foot

Posted by Rick C on 4/03/04 at 23:56 (148383)

Hello,

I am a long distance runner. I normally run 35-40 miles a week. I have never experienced any foot troubles or injuries in the past, in fact, for as many miles as I do run (570 so far this year) I am remarkably injury-free. Two weeks ago I competed in a marathon and finished with no noticeable foot, ankle, knee or leg muscle injuries. However, as I began to return to running after a 4 day lay-off I began to experience a moderately sharp pain that was centered in the lower middle of the lateral side of my left foot. I took 3 more days off. Yesterday (Saturday) I ran about 2.6 miles and felt a very slight strain, but no pain. I decided that it would be best if I didn't overdo it and so returned home (total run was 5.3 miles). At the end of the run I had no pain; however, about an hour after my run was over I again had pain but this time a little higher up my foot, but still at the middle of my left foot's lateral side. Today I did not run, but I still have had light pain in the foot.

I plan to lay off any running at all for the next week and swim instead. My questions are; 1) what's wrong with my foot, 2) what can/should I do to help the healing process, 3) is this injury serious enough to see a doctor, and 4) is a week's rest enough, or should I rest longer?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Rick Carlsen

Re: Pain in lateral side of left foot

Dr. Z on 4/04/04 at 16:32 (148388)

Hi
IF sounds like the lateral plantar fascia band is inflamed. Same therapy af pf but on the outside.. May also be on of the intrinic tendons. I would see a podiatrist asap to get an exact diagnosis now before if beocme serious and prevents you from doing any long distance running

Re: Pain in lateral side of left foot

Rick on 4/04/04 at 17:49 (148393)

Many thanks! I'll see a doctor this week.