Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Why would my new Pod say NOT to wear Birks?

Posted by LouiseR on 4/05/04 at 14:46 (148432)

I've had PF for seven months now and I just recently changed to a new podiatrist. I have a pair of Birkenstock Fulda high-arch sandals that I've been wearing for about a month, but the new podiatrist said I must not wear Birks or any other flat shoe. He told me to buy a pair of 2-inch-heeled Munro 'Joyce' mules. I bought the Munro but haven't had the nerve to wear them yet because they don't seem to have any support, just a wide elastic band that goes over the top of the foot, and about a quarter-inch cushion on a totally smooth footbed. Wouldn't a shoe like that do more damage, especially considering the fact that I overpronate?

I don't know why I'm not allowed to wear the Birks, since so many here say good things about them. He also recommended Brooks Ariel and Merrell Primo, which I also bought and they feel good.

Re: Why would my new Pod say NOT to wear Birks?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/05/04 at 14:48 (148434)

Birks are like a pre-fabricated orthotic -- if the 'hills and valleys' in the Birk fit your foot, they will help; if not, they won't.
Ed

LouiseR on 4/05/04 at 17:55 (148440)

But the Dr didn't even look at how my foot fits the Birks - as soon as he saw me walk into the office wearing them, he said 'never wear Birkenstocks or other flat shoes if you have PF'. I understand why I wouldn't be able to wear any old pair of flats, but with the contoured footbed, the Birks feel really good on my feet. I'm just confused as to why this Dr prefers a Munro mule with seemingly no support over the Birks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/06/04 at 23:34 (148503)

Louise:
The main purpose of a Munro is to accept an orthotic so it is useful if that is what your doc is making for you. If the Birks feel good on your feet, I would have trouble agreeing with your doc.
Ed