Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain

Posted by Pam R on 4/06/04 at 00:31 (148460)

My son is 10 years old and has heel problems all the time. His doctor said that it was heel spurs but then your website says that heel spurs don't cause pain. Do you think that I should have him seen by a foot doctor or try some of the products that you show first? Like the night splints and/or the heel wraps.

Re: Heel pain

Carlos N. on 4/06/04 at 16:48 (148487)

Pam,

Yes, take your son to a podiatrist before you do anything else. From what I know so far, heel spurs don't cause the pain. It's the stretching of the plantar fascia which causes pain. For children this could mean a custom set of orthotics and possibly a night splint to speed up recovery time. Make sure you go to a doctor who understands this condition. Unfortunately many of us who post messages here have had bad experiences with doctors who don't really know how to treat heel spurs. Your son is lucky, you've caught this early so his chances of recovery are fantastic.