Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night splints

Posted by Elyse B on 4/07/04 at 09:56 (148520)

Hi there. I have been diagnosed with atypical PF on both feet. I am seeing a physical therapist and have had custom orthotics made. Everyone has agreed that my achilles and calf muscles are extraordinarily tight as well as having rigid feet. My podiatrist says to wait on the night splint because he wants to see how I do with the orthotics. I am one who wants to deal with this proactively. I do not know much about night splints but can you wear it all the time as a passive stretching of tight muscles and can it do more harm than good?

Re: Night splints

Carlos N. on 4/07/04 at 19:11 (148556)

Elyse,

I wear a night splint when I'm at home or sleeping. I don't recommend wearing a night splint all the time especially if your trying to walk. Trick is to keep the foot immobile. Also, stretching is key. Scott's heel spur book is loaded with exercises you can do to make you more limber. Most doctors recommend night splints for chronic PFer's. I doubt it's harmful. I've had PF for years but finally doing something about it.

Carlos