Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Went to my podiatrist

Posted by JudyB on 4/07/04 at 10:04 (148521)

yesterday. She wants me to get a second opinion from my other doctor how is a podiatrist.

My problem is pain and burning at 27, 32 and 31.(http://www.geocities.com/CLCinNOLA/footpain.html)

She was hesitant to say it's a neuroma for sure, given the location. I told her my symptoms again, pain and burning when walking and that area in general feels like it's swollen, but doesn't look it. She kept saying it could be something wrong with the bone around there.

What do you think?

(Anyway, today my foot hurts and burns more, probably because I worked out yesterday and did a lot of upright rows and shrugs which puts weight on the foot.)

Re: Went to my podiatrist

Diana on 4/07/04 at 13:08 (148535)

Keep me posted. Does it hurt when you don't walk? Is there any clicking sound?

Re: Went to my podiatrist

Ed Rollin on 4/07/04 at 13:30 (148536)

Do yourself a favor and go see a M.D. that specializes in tthe foot and ankle. Do not see a poditrist because they are good people , but they do not have the extensive medical background that a Board Certified Foot and Ankle Surgeon does.

Re: Went to my podiatrist

JudyB on 4/07/04 at 13:46 (148539)

My feet feel much better when I stop walking and take my shoes off, although if I overdue it, they will continue to hurt. No, there is no clicking sound.

Re: Went to my podiatrist

JudyB on 4/07/04 at 13:47 (148540)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Went to my podiatrist (how to find board certified surgeon?)

Kirk C on 4/07/04 at 18:30 (148553)

Perhaps this is on a FAQ somewhere, but how do I determine if my podiatrist is a Board Certified Foot and Ankle Surgeon? Is there some online listing?

Re: Went to my podiatrist (how to find board certified surgeon?)

William Wilt on 4/08/04 at 06:32 (148577)


Check on the wall of his office it should have some certificate or plaque that states his credentials. A podiatrist is different doctor than a Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic surgeon, as i stated earlier the podiatrist has less medical backgroung than a Board CErtified Foot and Ankle Surgeon.

Re: Went to my podiatrist (how to find board certified surgeon?)

William Wilt on 4/08/04 at 06:42 (148578)


http://www.footcaremd.com then go to Find a foot and ankle doctor in your area!

Re: Went to my podiatrist (how to find board certified surgeon?)

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/08/04 at 08:02 (148581)

I'm not going to get into a debate regarding podiatrists vs. orthopedic surgeons. As with any profession, there are good and bad with both professions. My recommendation would be to find a podiatrist that was highly recommended by your doctor, and a podiatrist with significant experiece treating your problem. If you are going to see an orthopedic surgeon, I would only recommend an orthopedist that specializes in the foot/ankle. A general orthopedist treats feet, ankles, knees, hips, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, backs...etc. A podiatrist or foot/ankle orthopedist treats only the foot and ankle. To find a board certified podiatrist, (board certified in surgery), go on http://www.abps.org (American Board of Podiatric Surgery), or for an orthopedic foot/ankle specialist do a search for the Association of Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgeons (AOFAS). Members of either one of these organizations will be more that qualified to treat your condition. Both of these organizations have strict requirements and excellent reputations.

Re: Went to my podiatrist (how to find board certified surgeon?)

Dr. Z on 4/08/04 at 20:10 (148602)

I think you should ask your family doctor or someone who has had a problem similiar to yours. I went to the web link http://www.footcaremd.com . I typed in some of the orthopedic doctors I work with and sure enough they
were listed. Some of them see heel pain every few months instead of myself who sees heel pain everyday.
You don have to be certified in foot and ankle surgeon to a member of the foot and ankle orthpedic group. All you need is an INTEREST. So go back to the old tried and true method ask a family member or family doctor who they would go to for your specific problem

Re: incorrect information

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/10/04 at 11:36 (148649)

Incorrect information. A podiatrist can be a board certified foot and ankle surgeon. For a list look at http://www.acfas.org
Most Foot and Ankle Orthopedic surgeons have less training in foot and ankle problems than podiatrists.

Re: incorrect information

Dr. Z on 4/10/04 at 13:01 (148658)


I was referring to orthopedic doctors not podiatric. An othopedic doctor can belong to the Americn College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics with only an interest and without board certification, unlike podiatric physicians MUST be board certified to belong to the American Board of Podiatric Foot And Ankle Surgeons. Big difference. I still feel that a referral from a family physician and or friend is lot better that pick a doctor from a list