Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HELP Diagnose My Feet Pain

Posted by Michael on 4/07/04 at 20:20 (148564)

Hello most of you know by now I've been going through alot of pain. With the pain on the bottom of my feet I also have anlke clonus which I have had for the last 15 years. Because of the ankle clonus my doctors will not say 100% I have PF. They say most likely PF from my poor walking mechanics. I am 54 years old and most of the time went barefoot and have a scissors walk from the clonus. I have also have stiff legs. The pain most of the time is in the arch area sometimes the heel and sometimes the toes. It does seem the pain moves around. Yesterday I seen my neurologist said if the pain was nerve related I would feel the pain more on the skin. He to said most likely PF. Even my Podiatrist agreed. My pain is always there only the intensity of the pain changes it has been there 16 months. Why would anyone have pain in the heel or call it heel pain when the fascia runs between the heel and toes. I feel the pain should be in the arch area where the facsia is. Please descibe your pain in detail so I can compare it to mine. I am not sure if I have PF or not that drives me nuts not knowing for sure why the pain. What is your opinion about my pain?? Is your pain there all the time?? I am so tired of waking up every morning with my feet in pain. Thanks, Michae

Re: HELP Diagnose My Feet Pain

Steve G on 4/07/04 at 23:31 (148572)

Michael - the facsia runs from the heel to the toes, so you can have pain anywhere along the bottom of your foot with PF. I have had pain in my heel, arch, and at the base of my toes. Although most of my pain is in my heels, I have had pain in front of the heels (in the arch). My guess is that you have PF, particularly if that is the diagnosis you received.

Although you always ask about people's pain level and whether it is 24/7, when you are asked about the treatment you have received, you never respond. Which of the following treatments have you used: orthodics, stretching, weight loss, nightsplints, shots, Foot Trainer, ESWT? What is your current pod doing for you by way of treatment? Insofar as the treatment you have received is not working, what is your pod advising by way of a next step in your treatment?

Michael on 4/08/04 at 13:52 (148593)

Hello Steve having the clonus my Podiatrist was stumped he just sold me a pair of orthotics and said that was all he could do. He mentioned nothing about stretching, icing, heating, meds nothing just sent me off with all my daily pain. I did change my group of doctors since none have been of NO help. I started seeing new doctors last week we all know it takes time. I am not overweight I need to gain some weight. I do stretch, ice, heat take pain meds daily. Being in contant pain for 16 months has really wore me down and my wife too. Being in pain for so long it's really hard for me to do anything. I use to go on hikes and ride bikes weekly out to breakfast and dinner at least once a week now nothing. Being where the facsia is located between the heel and toes how could the heel be in pain? To me the pain should be felt between the heel and toes. I am thinking on trying acupucture even if the relied of pain is limited I will take any relief. Any other ways to reduce pain will be appreciated. I am hoping my new group of doctors will be of help. Thanks, Michael

Steve G on 4/08/04 at 14:38 (148595)

Have you read the heel pain book on this site? This will provide an detailed overview of the nature of PF, treatment options, etc. Rather than worry about acupuncture, you need to find a pod that will help you deal agressively with the problem using the treatments I outlined in my previous note.

Re: HELP Diagnose My Feet Pain/ It's time

Bud P on 4/08/04 at 22:06 (148610)

It's Bud here. It's been what 4 months since we talked. Sure sounds to me like your getting worse. If you get the time give me a call you have my number. I'll be around all day tomorrow. Good Friday. Then Monday same thing.I think it may be time you consider the EPF surgery. If you have exhausted all that you want.. Tomorrow will make 5 months since my surgery and it really has helped me a 100%. No more constant screaming agonizing pain. I can't tell you how good I feel. Surgery is not a sure thing,but I'm running into more and more people who have had it and it was a success. Before I had the surgery there wasn't to many people that I found that would say they had surgery or came back to this site.Now I've talked to many here that have done very well. Give me a call. Take care and good luck. Have a pain free Easter.

I still have sore feet and wear Birks. But no more first step or heel pain.

Re: Whoa, hold on

SteveG on 4/09/04 at 09:15 (148617)

With all due respect, Bud, I don't think he has even had a decent conservative treatment plan; therefore, for him to consider surgery is pretty premature. He should go through at LEAST six months of a comprehensive treatment plan, and then, if that does not work, have ESWT.

I am glad your surgery went well, but all you have to do is read a post like the following to know that it is not a decision to be taken lightly -

Re: Whoa, hold on

Bud P on 4/11/04 at 21:13 (148719)

I know the man we've talked on the phone. He's in Ca., I'm in Fl. There is more to the story than what that little post said. I do understand your concern. That would never be my advise if I didn't know most of the picture.I do know how he feels. When we've talked he seems to have addressed everything that he wants to,if he has PF and if the Dr tells him that's what it is for sure. I say go for it.From what he's told me he can't go on much more. When I finally reached that point it was either EPF surgery or the bridge. I had the surgery it was the best choice.