Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by J.E.C./akaJames C. on 4/07/04 at 22:04 (148567)

Mailman I am also a mailman. I would like to know about your tts surgery.I had mine in Feb.I also had pf surgery as well I am not doing well at all. I wish I would not of done mine.I guess I had to to satisfy Workers Comp.I have been a carrier for 15 years.I noticed some of the info you told another person on this sight it sounds like you have delt with workers comp like I have. What I was wondering is how is your office dealing with you?Are they offering you any type of modified clerks position or have you even tried to talk to them about any other positions. Have you thought about disability or just trying to keep on working light duty?I have to go through all of this again with my right foot. I don't think I will do it if this one dosn't get any better. Well sorry so long winded see ya Good Luck.
James C

Mailman on 4/10/04 at 01:40 (148633)

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been a career employee for 7 years. I have not carried in years. I had pf surgery 2 years ago. I was to have tts surgery within 3 months after that pf surgery. OWCP and its red tape delayed until Dec. Am worse now than before. Have RSD. If I had to do it over again, I think I would have written my congresswoman earlier to cut through the OWCP red tape. My work station calls me about every other day to see if I can come back to work. My doc will not release me even to just answer the telephone. Doc says he wants me to have less pain before I go back this time. Will have nerve blocks.
If you work in a large station or are close to a plant, I think that they are desparate for 204B's. If you plan on going the disability retirement route, just make sure you can live on what you make. I am way too young for that. I will tell you from experience, I would not go back to work until my surgeries were completed. When you are off, there just isn't near as much red tape. Has DOL assigned you a nurse? If not, call DOL and ask them if and when they will assign you a nurse.
I didn't have one after last surgery. I can tell a difference. The DOL nurse goes to your doc appointments with you and will go to your work after talking to dr to see what you can really do. So many do not understand the labor intensive work which we are required to do. My nurse has been great. If your doctor's wants tests, or drugs, or surgery, or therapy, the nurse can get it approved in less than a week. No more 3 month to 2 year wait for the simplest thing.

J.E.C./akaJames C. on 4/12/04 at 11:26 (148753)

Thanks for responding. I have been off of work for 6 weeks last fall and 9 weeks for my sugery.I don't know when I'm going to get my nurse but they sent me a letter and told me they were assigning me one.I am currently trying to get another dr approved. I sent them a letter and told them that it had been a year with my pod and this time I wanted to go to a highly recommended orth surgen.I don't know much about RSD. What are the symptons? I currently can only stand for 5 - 10 minutes or walk very short distances.I am having burning and tingling as well as the pains from the fascia area in my surgery foot.The other I feel like is more pf than tts.However my mri and my nerve test showed tts.I am a little concerned about owcp.

J.E.C./akaJames C. on 4/12/04 at 11:48 (148756)

Sorry for the duplicate messages I had a power surge and my pc shut down.I was saying about OWCP that I was told that after a year that your file would be sent to O.P.M. and that they would decide wether to put you on disability or to keep you on OWCP and then at that point you would lose your Life insurance unless you died of your job related illness.I also found out that I cannot aford to go out on disablity 60% minus fed taxes and also family health insurance = NO MONEY!Well better go we are having a storm.Also I just wanted to tell you why I put JEC.aka James C is because there are now three James C'S on here now.
Jame C
PS how long have you been on OWCP?

Mailman on 4/13/04 at 14:58 (148818)

They were correct when they told you that about the 1 year point. The only problem that I see with that is that there are several people in my district who have been on OWCP for more than 10 years. I have already talked with my nurse about the options. I am way too young to get disability retirement. I have been out for about 5 months. While I most likely will not be able to go back to my job, I most likely could do other jobs. While I know it is very difficult to think positively, you still have quite a bit of time. No matter what happens, if your doctor says you might reach that one year point, you need to start saving now.
As for the nurse, I got mine 2 weeks after I requested one. My last surgery, I didn't have a nurse. It makes a lot of difference.
My district always accommodate Limited Duty employees. If the doctor said I could go to work and the only thing I could do is answer one phone call per hour, they would have me at work. So next time you go to the doctor, take a CA-17 (duty status) with you. You can get it on http://www.dol.gov