Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When can I run again

Posted by Micky S on 4/09/04 at 12:06 (148621)

I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis by a podiatrist. I was fitted for shoe inserts and was given one cortisone shot, which only relieved my pain for 2 days, so more shots were not given. This was in Nov 2003. I am still in a lot of pain, have given up running - and most walking. I have been icing, splinting, stretching my foot (left foot) with little relief. My question is how much rest will it take to be able to move around again. Will I ever be able to run, hike, and take long walks again? I am pretty young to stop moving.

Re: When can I run again

Carlos N. on 4/09/04 at 15:53 (148625)

I know what your going through. It's tough and frustrating. Your doing the right things so far. Perhaps you should see a sports physical therapist. I have PF but it's not just a foot problem for me. I'm really tight in my legs that contributes to my PF. A physical therapist can evaluate to see how limber you are in your left leg and determine whether you need more stretching in a particular area(s). I've been doing Active Isolated Stretching and that to me is better than just static stretching. Also, place a towel flat on the floor and with your toes grab and pull the towel towards you from one end. For weight, place a can of beans or corn on the towel. This well help strengthen up your foot muscles.

Good luck,