Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is Ben Gay or Tiger Balm worth the time?

Posted by Steve on 4/10/04 at 09:30 (148638)

Hi;

I have gotten some modest, but nice results wearing a night splint and using a heating pad for 10min first thing in the morning.

I have been thinking about adding ben gay or tiger balm to this routine on the idea that it helps to boost circulation in my heel region to loosen it up before I start walking around a lot.

Do these balms actually stimulate circulation and are they better for this then a heating pad?

Steve

Re: Is Ben Gay or Tiger Balm worth the time?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/10/04 at 11:25 (148643)

Steve:
The products you are referring to are known in the medical field as 'counter-irritants'' as they cause a warming effect on the skin in an attempt to make the pain less noticeable. Aside from some temporary 'feel good' effect, they have no lasting therapeutic effect.
Ed

Lynda on 4/11/04 at 19:33 (148706)

Just make sure that you do not apply external sources of heat to your skin once you have applied a product like ben gay, or tiger balm, as the result could be irritated or burned skin. External heat is ok BEFORE the liniment, but NOT vice-versa!!!!

Steve on 4/15/04 at 06:01 (148939)

Thanks for the info!

That was what I needed to know

Steve