Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bursitis

Posted by Kelly on 4/11/04 at 10:31 (148685)

My podiatrist now thinks I might have Bursitis. I have pain and burning in the 2nd,3rd,and 4th, metatarsal head, esp after a long walk. I use to exercise a lot, but really can't now. This has been going on for a year!!

It also feels like the ball area of my foot is swollen but doesn't look it.

Do these symptoms fit the description of Bursitis?

Re: Bursitis

Dr. Z on 4/11/04 at 21:15 (148721)

It could be stress fracture, neuroma, bursitis An mri would be indicated to help with the diagnosis and treatment at this stage

Kelly on 4/11/04 at 22:41 (148723)

Thanks Dr Z,
Would a stress fracture last a whole year though? This is the one year mark now.

When I press on the end of the joints they will hurt. My podiatrist says neuromas wouldn't occur in that area.

Could this be RA? I haven't felt feverish or anything though. I'm a 34 year old male, no real medical problems besides this. Although this is really bothering me now.

john h on 4/12/04 at 09:16 (148736)

My understanding is a stress fracture could last longer than a year and never heal depending on where it is located and if not treated properly (cast and or crutches).

Kathy G on 4/12/04 at 11:01 (148748)

Kelly,

It might be a good idea to get a second opinion from a Pod. You didn't mention if you have received any kind of treatment such as cortisone shots, anti-inflammatories or orthotics. It doesn't sound like RA because that usually hits the big toe joint and that's not the fist place you usually get it.

John's right about the stress fracture as my daughter had one and was on crutches. I imagine that, if left untreated, it could just get worse. If it's a neuroma, the three treatments I mentioned usually help.

You really need to get to the bottom of this and my suggestion would be a second opinion I hope that you get some kind of definitive diagnosis soon. It can be so frustrating to have pain and not know the cause of it. Good luck!

john h on 4/12/04 at 11:49 (148757)

Most times an x-ray will pick up a stress fracture. If it is really small it may take an MRI. Where on your foot do you think you have the stress fracture? I think with a stress fracture that putting pressure on it will cause some real pain.

Kelly on 4/12/04 at 12:05 (148759)

Hi and thank you for the replies. I did get orthodics, and they help to 'some' degree. I still have problems walking a decent distance. NSAI don't do anything. I've tried Aspirin and Advil, no luck.

I can sort of feel where it hurts, right on the end of the proximal phalanges. When I bend my toes back and press on the end of the respective phalange, I get a sharp pain feeling.

Actually I am going to be getting a second opinion. My podiatrist actually wants me to. But I'm am rather upset with her because I've been in many times and never once has she recommended a MRI, Xrays, or ultrasound. I believe sometimes doctors are reluctant to change their diagnoses from their initial diagnoses.

Kelly on 4/12/04 at 12:06 (148760)

I don't know. All I know is after walking or putting a decent load on my foot, esp my right one, it will hurt in the ball area. Usually the end of the Proxmial Phalanges seem to hurt, esp when I press on them.

john h on 4/12/04 at 12:38 (148764)

You cannot detect a stress fracture unless you have an x-ray or mri. If the doctor suggested you might have a stress fracture and did not perform one of these procedures find another doctor.

Dr. Z on 4/12/04 at 17:18 (148776)

Hi
If this was RA you would probaby see boney changes however not in all casese. It wouldn't hurt to get a mri and arthritic panel to rule RA etc

Kelly on 4/12/04 at 17:52 (148777)

Thanks Dr Z...I see no bony changes.

I'll let you know what my podiatrist says tomorrow when I go in to see her again. I will ask for a MRI or XRays at the very least!

Re: How did you make out, Kelly? nm

Kathy G on 4/14/04 at 08:48 (148853)