Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post tib tendon rehab

Posted by cherylI on 4/12/04 at 12:35 (148763)

Early fall last year I injured my rt foot through a combination of running, jumping and hiking - thought it was a sprain or strain and just taped it and soldiered on (big mistake). By Jan it was not better so went to Dr. (Pod) who diagnosed Post tib tendon injury(did not do MRI).
I am slowly trying to get back to normal after 4 weeks in a removable cast and 3 in a hard cast (cast off 2.5 weeks ago). Though the pain level is diminished, the foot is still tender and cranky, the area around the interior ankle bone swells after any standing or walking. I am a little concerned that the pain and swelling have spread up to fully involve my ankle and for the past few days the ankle has been swollen even when I first wake up.

My question is, is this a normal part of the rehab curve post immobilization or should I be concerned ? Is there anyone out there who has been through a similiar injury? I really want to be able to run around with my kids this summer and get back to my regular active life!

thanks for any help!

Re: bio-mechanical

sandy h. on 4/14/04 at 09:40 (148858)

What have you done to change the way you walk or stand in terms of orthotics or postural training? I never tried immobilization but it may not work on its own if there is something biomechanically out of whack with the way you walk or stand. I only reply because I also have post tib pain as a problem. I can run around with kids but probably won't be running as a sport again.

Re: bio-mechanical

cherylI on 4/14/04 at 10:52 (148864)

I haven't done any official PT but I'm thinking about asking my dr when I go for follow-up appt. In the mean time I've been trying to figure out if there is a gait problem on my own -maybe caused by spraining this ankle several times over the years (this current injury may have been caused by walking/runnning on a stress fracture, favoring the foot). I found this site and was able to get a book used on Amazon
I haven't totally obsorbed the info yet, but looks like it could be helpful in self-correcting structural problems that activate pain.
What have you tried? How long have you been dealing with your post tib pain?

Re: sorry for delay

sandy h. on 4/16/04 at 18:15 (149031)

I did a gait analysis which showed that one leg (which just like you had been injured badly) was rolling in a lot. The physio I have been doing has been designed to get the muscles around my hip strong enough to pull the leg up and out when I walk. I have had this problem for about 4 years but it is getting better and better with the exercises and my third pair of orthotics (which were adjusted by a sympathetic pod about 5 times). I don't do hikes of more than a couple of hours or run for fitness anymore but do mountainbiking, swimming and kayaking instead. Basically adjusted my life and accepted that my feet will probably never be the same again. But maybe they will :)!

Re: sorry for delay

cherylI on 4/17/04 at 02:00 (149045)

thanks for the follow- up, sandy! I'm pretty much a newbie in terms of my journey with this whole foot problem - I've only been activly treating my injury for about 12 weeks. So, you have found Phys therapy to be very helpful? Do you think the gait problem caused the injury or vice versa? Do you use the orthotics all the time? Also, do you still have to watch out or the tendon will flare up again?
Sorry for all the questions -just looking for someone who has some wisdom on how to deal with this. I'm open to any advice : )