Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal coalition

Posted by pete on 4/12/04 at 14:55 (148768)

how dangerous is the surgery for this, what is the recovery time, any risks, treatment plan etc ??

Thanks v much

Re: tarsal coalition

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/14/04 at 15:50 (148883)

What type of tarsal coalition?

Re: To Ed Davis DPM

Pete on 4/15/04 at 04:09 (148938)

I know have the radiologists commnents on my MRI scan;-

Right foot

'There is a pseudo joint, perhaps a synchondrosis between the talus and the calcaneus, i.e a talo-calcaneal synchondrosis adjacent to which there is a loculated (spelling?) collection of fluid indicating recurrent and repetitive inflammation.

Left foot

Thereis a calcaneo-navicular fibrocartilagenous coalition adjacent to which there is some kind of well circumscribed 'foreign body'. This latter is solid and of indeterminate tissue. It lies adjacent to the navicular bone, posterior to the navicular tubercle. There is no fluid or local inflammatory reaction to be seen but I would predict that these appearances would significantly limit movement at this joint'.

My symptoms are pain on standing particularly and walking after about 30 to 45 mins. Pain is in the arch predominantly, with the whole foot then aching if I have to continue on my feet. The pain subsides rapidly on sitting. Previously diagnoses as PF although no pain at the insertion point. Have treated my feet with all the normal PF mentioned on this site which clearly now look to be a waste. However, at least I know have a positive diagnosis.....note 2 previous radiologists missed these problems.

Is surgery an option, what are the risks, recovery time etc ? Many thanks for your time and help.