Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

can a doctor please respond to this

Posted by Tricia H on 4/13/04 at 16:05 (148822)

I've had atypical PF for over 8 months - treatment had included PT, a cami-walker for 2 months, rest, ice, acupuncture, orthodics, cortisone shot (had a VERY bad reaction to), and had ESWT 2 weeks ago. The area is more sore than it was before the ESWT. What do I do now? I was a runner, which is how this happened (overtraining, ruptured the PF). Am I doomed not to run again? I went from being able to walk 2 miles pre treatment to not being able to walk 1/2 mile now.

Help!

Re: can a doctor please respond to this

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/14/04 at 14:24 (148876)

Tricia,

In your posting you stated that you ruptured your plantar fascia. Was this diagnosis made following an MRI? Having cortisone injections and ESWT following a rupture is not the usual scenario.

Tricia H on 4/14/04 at 14:51 (148877)

Yes, I had an MRI in which the doctor told me a 'tore' or ruptured the fascia. That was why I was in the removable cast for almost 3 months, with physical therapy. After that, I tried acupuncture for 2 months, then the doctor (he's a foot/ankle orthopedist at the NY Hosp for Special Surgery) sent me to a podiatrist to see if I could benefit from the ESWT. She fitted me to orthotics, the foot was getting better (I was able to walk 2 miles, use the stair stepper with no discomfort). She said to try running a little. I did that a few times over 3 weeks, and felt the soreness again, so that is why she did the shot. When that didn't work, we did the ESWT. Now the foot is very sore again. Can't walk more the 1/2 mile without it getting sore. I never had the typical 'pain on the first steps in the morning' injury. It is more toward the arch than the heal.

I'm afraid I've done more damage with this treatment.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/15/04 at 08:04 (148946)

I wouldn't give up hope, since ESWT can take up to 16 weeks to see the benefits. Some patients may experience immediate improvement, but others may see improvement gradually over time. It appears that your treatments have all been appropriate and I would give the ESWT a little more time. I would not recommend running at this point and would recommend walking in a high quality shoe/sneaker at all times. I strongly doubt if you've done more damage with the ESWT, but you may have to wait to determine if the ESWT will be beneficial.