Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking good or bad?

Posted by Michael on 4/14/04 at 08:37 (148849)

Hi, My husband has had PF for 18mo. now. He seems worse than ever. He says he is in excutiating pain. He more or less does nothing. No walking except to kitchen or bath. I am getting worried because he seems to be going downhill. Would it be more benificial to him to walk some or rest feet completely. He needs some serious help. The Dr.s he has seen are not much help. Thank You Linda

Re: Walking good or bad?

Richard, C.Ped on 4/14/04 at 09:48 (148860)

Is he wearing any kind of orthotics? The main thing with PF is to prevent/reduce the amount of stretching on the fascia. the more the fascia is stretched..walking, running, standing....etc, the longer it will take to heal. The fascia must be properly supported in order to reduce the amount of tugging or pulling.

If orthotics are out of the question for some reason....rest, rest, rest.

Re: Walking good or bad?

carolw on 4/14/04 at 11:20 (148867)

I am not a doctor and certianly not an expert on pf but if this is the same Michale who has posted several times I am concerned about him. Perhpas his foot condition has caused him to slide into depression. Depression saps energy and takes away hope. Depression and physical pain are are vicious cycle. I suggest going to a family practice physian, internist who can prescribe anti-depressants and prehaps refer Michael to physical therapy and/or a more effective poditrist.

Re: I agree

SteveG on 4/14/04 at 12:15 (148871)

I agree with Carol - I also wonder if the diagnosis of PF is correct. He seems to have a VERY debilating case, if it is PF. As I mentioned in an earlier note, I also think he needs a more robust treatment plan. Has he ever had ESWT - if not, why not. When I ask him about his treatment, I get a very vague reply.

Chris I on 4/14/04 at 23:45 (148934)

My question is why is Michael reposting Linda's message in this forum when she posted it in the other one?

Michael on 4/15/04 at 16:34 (148974)

Hello Chris we are getting desperate for help we want to be seen by as many people that can help. Michael

Chris I on 4/17/04 at 11:33 (149052)

My understanding of this is that there are many treatment modalities and that patience is required. I have custom orthotics, I sleep with a night splint on every night and I have curtailed my activity. I marked my first pain free day yesterday. Everytime I see your posts you keep asking people if they think you have pf. I think you need to get a doc to diagnose and then start the work that has to be done.

Michael on 4/17/04 at 16:42 (149059)

Hello Chris I have seen two primary care doctors, two neurologist and two pods. Having the ankle clonus none of these doctors which I have seen all say it might be PF or it may be some sort of nerve problem. They all say nerve problems are to difficult to diagnose as to where the problem is in the body so they perscribe pain meds which do not work. I have had quite a bit of test done including MRI on the brain, neck, spine, I have had an EMG done and tons of blood work all these test were normal. No MRI done on the feet. Like I said earlier I even changed my doctor group so I started seeing all new doctors as of two weeks ago. I am going to disguss having an ESWT done. With all these test done all normal and I remain in pain 24/7. Any help or comments will be appreciated. Thanks, Michael