Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richard - ped. question/inserts

Posted by Rachael T. on 4/14/04 at 16:31 (148892)

Hi Richard - & anyone else who wishes to comment on this latest PF dilemma of mine. I had been wearing SDOs for a while & was dong pretty good; before that I was wearing prescribed orth. that were all hard & some were 3/4 in length - causing me pain at the 'breakover' point on my ball of foot.....the other prescribed orth. seems too hard particularly at ball of foot....My dilemma is this - the arch seemed fine & my heel pain lessened - practically nothing; but the heat & pain in the ball intensified......I think I need something softer - which pointed me toward SDOs - they are presently & have been away being 'adjusted' - I await them....but in the interim & also if they don't 'fix' this issue ~ what are your suggestions? I await your reply.
Thank you! Too bad you aren't every PF'rs neighbor! You would have plenty of business!!!

Re: Richard - ped. question/inserts

Richard, C.Ped on 4/15/04 at 08:05 (148947)

Hi Rachael,
Is this why the S D O is being adjusted? I am wondering if the hard orthotics were not tapered at the cut off point behind the ball. When I mae the hard orthosis, I always grind the end very thin, so there is not a 'shelf' sitting behind the ball of the foot.

As you know, I am not much of a fan of the hard stuff. It is not for everyone. It is hard to say if it is causing excess pressure on the ball of your foot without seeing you in them. Do you have callouses on the ball of your foot? That would be an indicator of to much pressure.