Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a new experience for my Birkenstocks...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 4/14/04 at 17:37 (148894)

I just had to write about my day's experience. Today I took a personal day from school and accompanied my daughter's high school choir to a competition about 20 miles away. There were performances by both choirs at her school and also the show choir of which she is a part.

When we arrived, one of the girls in her show choir came to me in a panic and told me she left her black jazz shoes back at school. I told her to tell the choir director immediately, and maybe someone could bring them to her. I had ridden on the bus and couldn't volunteer to go get them. The director called and worked out for a teacher on planning time to bring them to us.

She arrived 20 minutes before the show choir was set to perform, and she brought the wrong shoes. The girl was almost in tears and said she'd have to wear her black athletic shoes. This would not work with the blue sequined top and black jazz pants, unfortunately. It would have been too obvious, and she couldn't be very graceful in those shoes, either.

I looked at her feet and asked what size she wore; she said 11. That's my size. I was wearing my black Annapolis, and I said, 'Here, let me sit down, and you try these on.' Her feet are wider than mine, but the velcro strap adjusted well.

I told her she must follow me to my seat in the theater because I couldn't walk barefooted! She did and was very grateful to be able to wear them. If you looked for it, you could spot the difference in the shoes, but it wasn't obvious.

Then after their performance (they were the last), it was announced that their group would not leave to go to another room for their sight reading test. They would stay on stage, but it was against all regulations for us to be sitting and watching, so we must leave immediately. There I was, barefooted, and I knew I couldn't walk the length of the auditorium (a big one!) barefooted without great harm to my feet!

I just sat and looked at another mother and said, 'I physically cannot leave without my shoes!' We weren't allowed to get to the girl wearing my shoes, so she handed me her son's choir dress shoes. They fit in length but were too wide and, of course, did not have the arch support I need. But I managed to get out of the auditorium wearing them and clomping along and then sat down quickly on a bench until the kids could join us.

The good news is that both the chamber choir and show choir (My daughter is in both) scored high enough to go to state competition! And to think my Birkenstocks helped them on their way! :) I'll bet that's the fastest moving those shoes have ever done! They danced and sang to a song from 'Footloose' and also 'You Can't Stop the Beat'.

I just thought you all might get a smile out of this story.
Suzanne :)

Re: a new experience for my Birkenstocks...

Kathy G on 4/14/04 at 18:07 (148899)

Suzanne,

Bless you! Once more you came to the rescue! I'll bet that young girl will always remember your kindness. And I know you will! Can you imagine if you had had to walk barefoot? UGH! So glad that you had access to the that lady's son's shoes. You must have been a sight clomping along!

I think that now that they've been broken in by a dancer, you should do the same routine for your class tomorrow and have someone take pictures. We can post them on the website. Footlose, huh? Kind of an ironic title!

Congratulations to your talented daughter and her groups. And thank you for giving me a good laugh!

Suzanne D. on 4/14/04 at 19:33 (148913)

I hadn't thought of the irony of the 'Footloose' song with me in my bare feet, Kathy! That is funny! :D

As far as me teaching my class today's routine, I think I'll spare you all that picture! ;;)

Glad I gave you a good laugh!

marie on 4/14/04 at 20:10 (148914)

Wow that was a nice story. So glad your daughter's choir made it to stae....they must be really good> Bet you were a very proud barefoot mom! :)

marie

Suzanne D. on 4/14/04 at 20:53 (148923)

Thanks, Marie. Yes, I am proud of my daughter and the entire show choir. Their director began my daughter's freshman year, and that year they only had 6 or 8 in the group. They are still small but are twice that size. This is the first year they've made it to state. They were so excited!

I plan to go see them at the state event. I laughed and told them I would wear my black Annapolis shoes again, but I would also bring another pair with me to wear so I wouldn't end up barefoot again!

Necee on 4/15/04 at 00:57 (148936)

What a great story Suzanne!

As I was reading this I could just picture you sitting there barefooted, then having to clomp out of the auditorium, you must have had a good laugh with that one! I know I did.

Congratulations to your daughter and the rest of the choir, I know you must be very proud of her.

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/04 at 07:34 (148943)

I know you don't enjoy having size 11 feet, because it is so hard to find shoes. But just think - - if your feet were any smaller, the girl could not have fit into your shoes, and you could not have saved the day for the show choir!

I am SO GLAD that you did not try to walk out barefoot and risk harming your feet.

Carole C

john h on 4/15/04 at 11:23 (148958)

Hey Carole stop knocking size 11 feet.

Suzanne D. on 4/15/04 at 19:04 (148988)

Necee, I kept thinking of you all here on the board and how I would write to you about what happened, and that helped me keep my sense of humor! It also helped to know you would understand how, even though I am better, I could not walk barefooted through that auditorium. Not one person understood; they just looked at me like I was being overly dramatic about the situation. But I don't expect them to understand, so I didn't worry about it.

I was a funny sight in those borrowed shoes, clumping out of the auditorium! At least I had on black pants. It would have been so much worse had I been wearing a dress!

Suzanne D. on 4/15/04 at 19:07 (148989)

You're right, Carole! As I watched the kids up on the stage, I was so glad that I wore the same size as that girl. I would have hated for her not to have been able to perform. That would have just ruined it for everyone involved.

And if we had not had that unseasonable snow the day before with very cool temperatures that day, I probably would have been wearing more spring-like colors with my camel-colored Annapolis shoes instead of the black ones.

As Mr. T always said (Remember the A-Team show?), 'I love it when a plan comes together!' Well, it wasn't exactly a plan, but it came together, anyway!

Suzanne D. on 4/15/04 at 19:08 (148990)

John, I used to really dislike having long feet. Now I am just thankful when they don't hurt - no matter what size they are!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/04 at 23:29 (149000)

See? Size 11 feet saved the day. I think they are great. My grandfather had size 12 feet and they are fine too.

Carole C

Re: Suzanne...

wendyn on 4/16/04 at 14:48 (149013)

That's quite a story Suzanne! Sounds like it all worked out in the end though

Suzanne D. on 4/17/04 at 17:37 (149060)

Yes, Wendy, as they say, 'All's well that end's well'!

How is your husband feeling these days? I think of you all often.

wendyn on 4/17/04 at 20:51 (149063)

Much, much better Suzanne. He was golfing last weekend, so I think that's a good sign.

Suzanne D. on 4/17/04 at 21:03 (149065)

Oh, that's great, Wendy! I know that is a relief to you to see him out enjoying himself!

I wish him continued good health,