Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Great Toe Fusion

Posted by Ellen O on 4/14/04 at 19:02 (148909)

I ended up having my great toe fused due to multiple dislocations. I had two pins removed the other day at 6 weeks. I was wondering what is the typical time frame before the swelling will go down. Also do Dr.s ever recommend PT following fusion? Thanks

Re: Great Toe Fusion

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/14/04 at 21:33 (148926)

Which joint was fused, the joint that joins the big toe to the foot at the ball(1st MTP joint) or the joint in between the bones of the big toe?
How did the dislocations occur?

Re: Great Toe Fusion

Ellen O on 4/15/04 at 10:25 (148952)

The joint that joins the toe to the foot (1st MTP joint) was the one fused. The first dislocation occured within two weeks following a bunionecomy and Brostrom Repair while I was in a cast. Apparently the toe just moved off of the joint. My Dr. tried to manipulate the toe back into place, but within two weeks it dislocated again. Two theories for the dislocation is either the soft tissue pulled the toe off the joint or it occured because my ligaments are lax, this was not injury related. All cartilage was destroyed in the dislocation. Long answer to a short question. Thanks.