Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in right foot lateral mid aspect along the edge

Posted by NaeemM on 4/15/04 at 21:51 (148993)

Hello!
I am a runner. I run 3-miles 5 times in 2 weeks. I had a 4-day break and started running again. Nothing happened immediately afterward but the next day, I started having a dull pain along the planter aspect, lateral side, just medial to the edge of the foot, as well as halfway along the lateral edge which worsens with walking and weight bearing. I intentionally tried to weight bear on the lateral edge by inverting the foot and it definitely hurts. Also I have very mild dull ache antero-inferior to the lateral malleolus. Just to add, I have noticed that the outer halves of my shoe heels are usually worn out, suggesting that I am an inverter or over pronator?

What should I do? Is it plantar fasciitis, peroneal tendinosis or a bone bruise? I am trying to go airborne school and really cannot stay away from run training for a long time. I have only one possible chance to go to this school and it's my lifelong dream.

Re: Pain in right foot lateral mid aspect along the edge

Ed Davis,DPM on 4/17/04 at 21:09 (149067)

NaeemM:
This may be a lateral column syndrome. Seek professional advice as this is too tricky to self treat.
Ed

NaeemM on 4/23/04 at 23:50 (149455)

Thank you very much for your kind advice.

CG on 5/04/04 at 12:42 (150004)

Hi NaeemM,

I'm experiencing the same problem right now. How would you feel about sharing the treatment you were recommended?