Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT in Europe

Posted by Mathew T on 4/16/04 at 10:05 (149006)

Hi,

does anyone knows of any ESWT treatment locations in Europe?

Regards

Mathew

Re: ESWT in Europe

Ed Davis,DPM on 4/17/04 at 21:28 (149073)

Matthew:
There is much more ESWT being done in Europe than North America. Keep in mind that all of the ESWT machine manufacurers are in Europe. What country are you looking to have ESWT done in?
Ed

Mathew T on 4/18/04 at 07:25 (149084)

Hi Ed,

I am looking to have ESWT done in Sweden.

Regards

Mathew

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/18/04 at 23:44 (149114)

Matthew:
i tried a search for ESWT + Sweden but did not come up with any results. Go to the ESWT section in this site which lists manufacturers and also the ismst.com web site. The manufacturers would know the locations of their machines. Sorry that I could not be of more help but beleive that you will find a source with some effort.
Ed

Mathew T on 4/20/04 at 00:42 (149188)

Ok, I will give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Matheww

Oliver L on 5/10/04 at 13:17 (150333)

Does anyone know of any advantages of having this done in Europe, (aside from convenience), such as more experienced doctors, newer machines, etc.? (I may be in Germany for some time this summer, enough to go for followup treatment if necessary.) Also, does anyone have any idea of the approximate costs (my American insurance won't pay for it anyway.) Thank you very much.

Pauline on 5/10/04 at 14:04 (150336)

Oliver,
If I were you I'd try having the treatment done in Europe. Actually thats where they have the most experience with ESWT. Most of the studies done were done in Europe. I personally think you'll find the cost cheaper. Check around.

You might want to email Dr. Jan Rompe. He is the formost expert in ESWT and I believe in Germany. He might be able to suggest a good location for your treatment. His email address (email removed)

Good Luck

Oliver L on 5/10/04 at 14:28 (150337)

Hi,

Would it really be cheaper? (comparable to Canada maybe?) That would be great...does anyone have any idea of the cost over there (Germany specifically, if possible), in ballpark terms? tia

Dr. Z on 5/10/04 at 15:03 (150340)

Hi Oliver,

The international Society of Shockwave Therapy. http://www.ismst.com
will list all members in Europe.

J. P. (Sunny) Jacob on 5/11/04 at 20:12 (150435)

Oliver L.,
As recommended elsewhere, Dr. Rompe is a Professor of Orthopedics at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Mainz, Germany, my Alma mater. He is one of the leading researchers in ESWT. However, I am not certain if he is involved with an ESWT clinic that treats patients on a routine basis.
You may also check with a clinic operated by Dr. Dahmen, another well experienced orthopedic surgeon who does ESWT treatment on a regular basis. This clinic is in Hamburg, Germany. Dr. Dahmen also recommends 3-session (low intensity) treatment several days apart, with light physiotherapy. His website is http://www.eswt.com
If you need more details regarding this you can contact me by email at (email removed)

Dr. Z on 5/11/04 at 21:34 (150445)

Hi Oliver,

Another well known European doctor is Dr. Buch, his e-mail address is (email removed). He uses the dornier epos ultra for the past seven years. He could do both high and low energy.

Oliver L on 5/15/04 at 13:16 (150640)

Thanks for the recommendation.

My German is pretty rough, but is the cost of treatment for out-of-pocket people ('Selbstzahler'?) with Dahmen really only 200 euros (198,41)? (or does ,,einzelne Therapiesitzung' mean that accounts for only one of the generally three recommended treatments, thus 600 total?) Thanks...