Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SDOs once again!

Posted by Rachael T. on 4/17/04 at 15:12 (149057)

Hi - after a couple of wks. w/o 1 SDO as it was away having its fluid 'adjusted' ~ my SDO returned yest. & upon putting it back into my shoes & removing the hard orth from the pod.....my feet are feeling relieved. I am unsure if this 1st adjustment is correct; but it is better than the original - that I can tell. My SDOs are allowing me continued activities & more of a life.....I feel they are a help in my healing at this point. And, after 3 yrs. of PF, & LOTS of 'healing attempts' this 1 seems to be doing the job.
For those of you that are SDO fearful & apprehensive, I was too - but Dr. Kiper seems to be patient & sympathetic - & his SDOs seem to be sympathetic to my feet & yet supportive. I am glad I tried them!

Re: SDOs once again!

Nan D on 4/19/04 at 20:14 (149160)

Rachel,
I have to agree with you about the SDO's. I have morton's neuroma and they are the only thing that has helped me after 1 1/2 years of dealing with this. I've wasted so much time & money with no success going to Pods, acupuncturists and the latest a massage therapist, but still the sdo's are the only reason I am able to walk with minimal pain!

Kamal S. on 4/20/04 at 08:39 (149214)

Rachel,

What do the SDO's feel like? I assume they are soft but are they durable? I recall someone described them as 'gel in between two layers of foam' which dissuaded me from buying them. I am trying to find something that works and would be open to these -- have also had PFs for 3 years and suffered many failed healing attempts (ESWT included).

Kamal.

Kathy G on 4/20/04 at 08:53 (149216)

Kamal,

I'm not Rachael but if you click on SDO, it will bring you to Dr. Kiper's website. Truthfully, I thought the guy was a quack. Forgive me, Dr. Kiper, if you monitor the board! :'> Anyway, it looks kind of interesting. I'm not totally sure I'm going to try them but it sure is tempting. I have been talking about getting Birks with soft beds but I'm not really sure they're going to work for me and I'm wondering it this would be the way to go.

I'm trying to think of who else has had good luck with them besides Rachael. Anyone??

RACHAEL T. on 4/20/04 at 11:12 (149220)

Here's my description of the SDOs as you requested....the SDO is a footshaped envelope made of a durable, flexible plastic of some sort that holds the silicone gel within it. (like a heavy duty baggie) ~ The gel is adjusted after several months of weartime accordingly - from what you tell Dr. Kiper in email & tele. conversations. Also, this plastic gel enclosed envelope is fitted into a blue foam foot shaped envelope. You can wear these gel inserts inside the blue foam insert or without the blue foam insert. I just couldn't heal w/ hard orthotics - & yet, I am not healed now either--but these orthotics are more wearable on a sore footed day cause they are soft....plus they fit in more shoes rather than sneakers! As I said in a previous post, today is not a good day for me as I overdid it all weekend & again, on Mon.....but in the past 3 years of PF, I wouldn't have been able to 'overdo' it the way I did this past weekend & ever since I started w/ SDOs. My thoughts are that we probably won't ever be 'normal' feet again - but SDOs are helpful as are Birks (when we want 'hard' inserts) in our foot management.

Kamal S. on 4/21/04 at 20:49 (149330)

Thanks Rachael.

Birks give me relief too but not my custom made hard orthotics. Thinking that SDOs maybe worth a try. I also came across something else that sounds very much like the SDO --The EZ Runner Orthotic. This is also filled with some type of gel/fluid. Do you (or anyone else) know about these?

One question on SDOs -- do they give sufficient support and structure? My Birks are not at all soft but feel comfortable. I am wondering if something too soft may fail because it is so different from what my feet seem to like -- i.e. broken-in Birks. Any ideas?

Kamal.

RACHAEL T. on 4/22/04 at 14:50 (149366)

In ans. to your quest....yes, the SDOs give sufficient support - they are just 'different' when you first wear them....as they are unlike Birks or rigid orth. from pod....Try them -- & ifyou don't like them, Dr. K is good about refunding your money...so you won't lose your cash! As for Birks - I like mine too - but there are times when my feet are already aggravated & my feet don't even like their old faithful Birks & then, I know that REST is the only thing that does the trick. Also - you may check out the Birk insert supports - I have worn the blue ones w/ some comfort.....so there is another thought. Good luck & keep trying ! PF folks learn that changes & different things work at different times.

Dr Kiper on 4/23/04 at 13:00 (149417)

One of my patients contacted me about your post, and there have been other patients from time to time who have commented on the SDO [most of the time favorably].

Rachel happens to be the most current from this group and is slowly recovering from her PF.

If you are interested in talking to other patients of mine you can go to my web site, link on the left side of the index to 'talk to patients',
there you can contact people from around the world who have volunteered [with no perks from me, mind you] to simply offer their story and support.

If you haven't spent enough money on other supports, physical therapy,
injections, nightsplints etc you may want to keep looking and trying, remember that only an orthotic addresses the underlying condition of your PF, all other things only address to the symptoms.

I would love to try and help you, you have nothing to lose.

Dr Kiper on 4/23/04 at 13:06 (149418)

The SDO feels uniquely different, especially in the beginning. It is important to understand that until the orthotic fits correctly, it may not feel good or right.

Once it fits correctly, most people don't feel them very much or at all. That's because the SDO moves with the motion of your arch as if it were part of your foot. In fact it's the only orthotic that actually 'matches' the way your foot walks, even if you are wearing a traditional orthotic that also fits you. This is because a traditional orthotic 'controls' the way your foot moves across the floor. The SDO 'guides' your foot through the footstep.

Kamal S. on 4/27/04 at 08:29 (149621)

Dr. Kiper,

Thanks a lot for your input. Let me think it over. I will probably have some questions for you and might just call you.

Kamal.