Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping

Posted by Elyse B on 4/19/04 at 10:58 (149128)

Has anyone had success with taping and is it difficult to do? According to Scott, taping is a very good way to give the fascia a rest.

Re: Taping

R C on 4/19/04 at 12:55 (149142)

I've taped my foot for about 2.5 years, first thing when I wake up each morning. It takes a bit of practice, but after a couple weeks you'll know how to tailor the taping to the peculiarities of your foot and your injury. I found taping to be very effective, especially in conjuction with other therapies. I especially recommend taping if orthotics don't seem to help.

Elyse B on 4/19/04 at 12:57 (149143)

thanks, it does seem like it takes practice. I will see how the orthotics work, Were you able to work out with the tape, or was this in conjunction with rest?

Jamie on 4/19/04 at 13:21 (149146)

I dont know if im taping wrong but taping seems to hurt my foot much worse than not taping at all. I do it like the video shows but it just messes up my sprinting style and makes my foot hurt much worse in the ball of the foot. Then i have pain in the heel and the ball of my foot so i just use the Richard C Ped orthotics and they do good. I do wish taping wouldnt hurt my foot because i would love that extra support there. i just feel it hurts me more than it helps.

Elyse B on 4/19/04 at 13:28 (149147)

I am amazed that you are running. I have made the decision yesterday to quit all running/walking until the inflammation goes down. I am of 2 minds about it because heelspurs.com says you can run if you tape...

Rick R on 4/20/04 at 06:58 (149200)

I too have had great success taping. Search on my name and you should be able to find a description of the method I use.

Rick

R C on 4/20/04 at 07:05 (149201)

I believe that you should find non-weight-bearing exercise while you are recovering from PF. I've given up running and taking walks altogether. Now I swim and do recumbent bike. If it hurts to take a step, then walking doesn't help, and probably sets you back.

Elyse B on 4/20/04 at 07:11 (149202)

thanks, I am taking one month off and bringing the bike out. It seems to me that there are people on this board who advocate running as long as you tape. Not sure if that is viable.

john h on 4/20/04 at 09:23 (149217)

Forget running until you are CURED! Do not make the mistake many of us have made and become chronic.

Elyse B on 4/20/04 at 09:25 (149218)

will do. I have stopped, starting to ride my bike today.

Steve C. on 4/20/04 at 12:09 (149223)

I've been taping for a couple of years, it is the only treatment that has given me real relief.

I've had to change taping methods a few times, though. It's as if I'm doing well for a while, then my foot says, 'Aha, you just thought you were getting better!'

I started with Scott's method, but now use other taping techniques I've found on the web.

Elyse B on 4/20/04 at 14:02 (149230)

I have read a lot of different methods about taping and have yet to try it. Everyone on the Board's insists I must stop running and all weight bearing exercising until I am pain free. I have committed to do that and will definitely give the tape a try. It does seem complicated though.

Steve C. on 4/21/04 at 08:09 (149277)

It make look complicated at first, but is really not, especially the methods that Scott displays. Once I got good at it using his method, it took me about 10 seconds per foot!

Elyse B on 4/21/04 at 08:12 (149278)

I am still in the process about learning about my PF and reading as much information as I can. I rode my bike last night and I re-read Scott's stuff and he said that he tapes before he bikes, I also see that he tapes before activity, again does that mean one can run/walk if they tape? I am giving it up for a month to make sure that this does not become chronic. 10 seconds per foot is awesome. I will read Scott's methods and give it a try. Someone else recommended arch+aids which I really like, they are like ace bandages that fit around your arches.

R C on 4/21/04 at 13:24 (149296)

I have found that with my foot taped, I can painlessly go about an otherwise ordinary day that requires only incidental walking (such as a trip to the grocery store). Any more than that, then my foot starts to get uncomfortable from the tape itself, and maybe I'll start to worry that the protective capacity of the tape has been compromised (overuse causes loss in the tensile strength and adhesiveness of the tape). I have no plans to ever run or walk again for exercise, as I feel that that would put me at risk for re-injury. I certainly do not want to repeat the ordeal of the last 4 years.

Of course, your mileage may vary. (Literally and figuratively.)

Elyse B on 4/21/04 at 13:27 (149298)

I think I need to stop reading about PF, way too scary to think that it is chronic and can last for very, very long time. I don't have any real 'pain' in the ordinary course of the day, just discomfort. I did have pain when I walked and ran this weekend (for the last time for a while). But it is just a dull throbbing in my arches. I take my shoes off during the day and put on Arch+aids which I like and someone on this Board suggested as being less messy than taping.