Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recently Diagonosed with TTS

Posted by Jo B. on 4/19/04 at 21:27 (149168)

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. I have had foot pain for about 3 years. I kept getting a diagnosis of PF. Recently it had gotten so bad that I was having trouble walking without falling.

Finally my doctor referred me to a pod. It took him 5 months to diagnose TTS. Finally after a Nerve Condution Velosity test, he diagnosed me with TSS.

He sent me to physical therapy which I have been doing for 4 months. I had severe pain on the outside of my feet and pins and needles or a buzzing feeling from my last 2 toes to my heal. I occasionally get some nasty foot cramps and sharp pains.

I went to see him last Thursday. He is having special orthodics made for me. He said if that doesn't help that he wants to try Cortizone shots and possibly putting casts on my feet. If none of these options work, he said that I would need surgery to release the tension on the nerve.

I'm sure the next few months will be interesting...Jo B.

Re: Recently Diagnosed with TTS

LARA on 4/20/04 at 07:12 (149203)

Have you tried compression socks. I got those while considering surgery and being reluctant. It took three years for me to be diagnosed too, and they were like magic for me. NOt for everyone, but relatively easy to try - and stop if they don't work. I saw them on amazonl.com the other day.

Jo B. on 4/20/04 at 13:36 (149228)

No I haven't. I don't know if I would be able to stand them. I have severe chronic PF on the outside of my feet where the bone protrudes. Having something pressing on that area might drive me nuts. I have to wear wide shoes and sometimes I can't even stand having my shoes rubbing them, or having my feet touch the bed or have the blankets pressing on them at night when I'm trying to sleep. I've had several nights with cold feet! I also wake up quite often flexing my feet because they hurt so bad.

I appreciate the suggestion though. If the PF gets a little better I'll invest in a pair and try them. Any input is appreciated! Good luck to you all!

LARA on 4/20/04 at 16:16 (149235)

Yikes! I generally start and stop with compression socks because they worked such magic for me, and except for things like rest, ice, heat, which provided temporary relief for as long as I rested, iced, or heated, I was never given any other treatments (except NSAIDS which I took until my stomach rebelled!) I imagine some people get tired of me repeating myself as they don't work for a lot of people - but when they do work they are quick, easy, non-invasive, cheap and magic. I'm never sure if the next person has heard about them.
Good luck.

Re: Recently Diagonosed with TTS

Elaine T on 4/20/04 at 16:44 (149240)

Um, Jo, if by your 'last two toes' you mean the small ones, well those are connected to a different set of nerves than the ones in the tarsal tunnel. The tarsal tunnel is on the inside of the ankle and does not affect the outside.

Jo B. on 4/20/04 at 18:43 (149243)

Well, my pod said the nerve comes in on the inside ankle and branchs. He said that it is affecting the branch of the nerve that goes to the outside of my foot. I think that is why it took so long for him to diagnose.

He said that it is unusual to have TTS and even more so that it only affects the outsides of my feet. My ring and pinky toes for lack of a better description to my heal feal like a buzzing and tingling almost non-stop.

I herniated a disk in my neck 2 1/2 years ago. It has never healed right and I have been on 900 to 1200 mgs. of Neurontin a day for that until recently. I had 2 rounds of Cortizone shots in it that has given me some temporary relief. The Doc said that I could quit taking it while the shot is working so I did. That was about a 1 1/2 months ago. Since then I have notices a drastic difference in the nerve pain in my feet.

The NSAIDs (ibuprofen)are really beginning to bother my stomach. That's the main thing that they have been giving me for the tendonitis. I'm afraid that I am going to have to have them prescribe something else. I have been taking 800 mgs. of ibuprofen 2 or 3 times a day.

Hopefully I will get my orthodics this week and I should know fairly quickly if they help. Here's hoping...PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!!!

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING TO HELP ME SLEEP? My feet bother me so bad sometimes I can't even sleep. Last night I got about 4-5 hours sleep is all.

Jo B. on 4/20/04 at 18:46 (149244)

Thanks for your support! This message board is one of the greatest things I've come accross. It lets you see the results, achievements, & setbacks that others have had. It is a wonderful tool in helping me with my problem. I am TRUELY GRATEFUL that I have found this!

marie on 4/20/04 at 20:22 (149251)

If compression socks would be to constrictive you may consider men's support socks. Keep at it and don't give up.

Jo B. on 4/20/04 at 20:40 (149256)

Thanks Marie,
I have found one thing that helps. They are a rubber like adhesive dressing that my dad uses on his feet. He is total bed ridden and home health care provides them for him so he doesn't get pressure sores. It is called DuoDerm Extra thin CGF dressings. I took a sample to physical therapy and they are going to see if they can get me some. It helps cushion my feet from the constant rubbing of socks, shoes, etc. It literally feels like someone is rubbing an open sore.

Ann L on 4/20/04 at 22:47 (149261)

Neurontin has given some us some measure of relief from the nerve pain. Are you back on it? If not, that might help some. For sleep, Elavil can help. It is actually classified as an antidepressant, but does help some with nerve pain and when taken at bedtime, it helps some with sleep. With the orthodics, don't expect a miracle cure. It will take some time to get adjusted to wearing them. Till then, try to be patient and talk to your doctor about medication options.

marie on 4/21/04 at 19:19 (149317)

I concur with Ann....neurontin and elavil will help you sleep better at night. I know that my feet are worse when I don't get the rest I need. It only makes sense that lack of sleep can and does affect your central nervous system.

Best wishes marie

marie on 4/21/04 at 19:21 (149318)

Oh I know just how you feel. It's like walking on broken glass. Let me know how it works for you.

Terri on 4/22/04 at 18:40 (149371)

Jo, similar to that is a product called moleskin. It's also adhesive backed and has a very soft outer layer, almost fuzzy, that cushions between your foot and shoe. I found this product many years ago when going thru boot camp in the Army. They provided it to us and you can cut it to shape. Wonderful stuff!