Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

600 ibubrofren-how long?

Posted by tonniaw on 4/21/04 at 06:31 (149273)

I started taking 600 or 800 mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours a few days ago. I actually walked through the day without limping! I still had a little pain but could concentrate and manage to not limp.
so the question is...how long can I take this much ibuprofen? No history of liver or kidney problems. I also ordered ibuprofen cream the other day, will I have to adjust my oral dosage? Any help will help. Thanks.

Re: 600 ibubrofren-how long?

Peter A on 4/21/04 at 08:49 (149281)

You should probably consult with a doctor on this, rather than relying on anedotal evidence or amateur prescriptions. It is a fact that chronic Ibu. use can cause internal bleeding, which in some cases leads to death. I think it is something like the 7th or 9th leading casue of death seen in emergency rooms -- mostly people with chronic, acute pain from arthritis who are taking large doses. But it's not something I'd want to take chances with.

On the other hand, I do not think that using the Ibu. cream should affect the oral dose at all. Because it is applied locally, it will not contribute to internal bleeding.

Peter A on 4/21/04 at 08:58 (149282)

Oops, sorry -- My first post is not clear. I meant consult directly with a doctor in person, who knows your medical history. You can get answers from doctors here, but they can't ask the same questions that your doctor can face-to-face. I hope no-one construes my (hastily written) first answer as a criticism of the thoughtful contributions the doctors make who come here regularly.

Having almost died from a bleeding ulcer, and having taken some some wildernees emergency training where this was addressed directly, I take the issue of Ibu. use very seriously.

tonniaw on 4/21/04 at 12:59 (149294)

thanks, I will call my PCP.