Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel syndrome surgery a failure

Posted by Robert H. G. on 4/21/04 at 15:17 (149299)

Hi- I was diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel syndrome in Jan 2000 after an emg showed nerve damage. An mri showed a ganglion cyst was the culprit. 5 months after the mri tarsal tunnel syndrome release surgery was performed. It is now 3yrs and 6 months later and my right foot is still numb and I experience considerable pain. The numbness and pain is worse at night when I lay down. I am now under the care of a pain management md who prescribed oxycontin, clonopin and amitriptyline. The pain medication helps a bit. The orthopedic surgeon who removed the cyst says there is nothing further he can do for me. I am told nerves take time to heal. So I wait. I have no life and I live in pain. The numbness in my right foot has spread to my heel as my heel is now hurting. I am going to see a nuerologist in June for a second opinion. Is there any hope my foot will heal? Or is my life over. Am I to live in pain for the rest of my life. I only get a few hours of sleep each night and I cannot walk far. It is painful to put on shoes or sneakers. So I stay at home and watch tv and hope someday the numbness and pain will go away. Why didn't the surgery solve the problem? The mri showed a ganglion cyst and the md said he removed the cyst. Frankly I feel the 5 month wait for surgery caused irrevesable nerve damage but my doctor will never admit to that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel syndrome surgery a failure

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/21/04 at 19:06 (149313)

Robert:
What was the reason for the '5 month wait?' Waiting 7 months to see the result of TT surgery is reasonable; 3 years and 6 months is not. Have you had an NCV (nerve conduction velocity) test?
Ed

Linda on 4/22/04 at 06:29 (149337)

Robert,
I had tarsal tunnel release and fascia release in both feet. One done in december 2001,and one March 2002. I have not had any relief from the surgery,and now I regret ever having it done. The pain is worse and constant. I was an avid runner,and a personal trainer before surgery. I have been unemployed now for 2 yrs because I just can't stand anymore for longer than 10 minutes without pain.
If i had found this website before surgery,I would have gone for E.S.W.T. instead. My podiatrist did everything he could possibly do before I had surgery.
I just had an mri on both feet,and found out I now have arthritis in both of them.
I hope you find relief.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/22/04 at 23:46 (149396)

Linda:
There are a lot of alternatives to surgery for PF but not as many for TTS.
Don't give up yet. A couple of considerations -- check with Dr. Niel Schon of Baltimore. he has published literature on a vein wrap procedure in which he uses the grat saphenous vein (big vien on the inside of your ankle) as a protective 'sheath' for thepost. tibial nerve. Also, check with Dr. Dellon of Baltimore, a reknown authority on the suject.
Ed