Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal tunnel release and tenosynovectomy for Doctors please

Posted by Alex Prato on 4/22/04 at 18:56 (149373)

Doc,

I have a dilemma i have been dealing with for 7 months. I have FHL & FDL tenosynovitis, with NO TINELS sign, NO NUMBNESS. OR TINGLING BUT PERSISTENT PAIN IN THE INNER ANKLE WHICH is even present at rest. MY EMG/NCV study showed very minimal nerve irritatuion and my doctor thinks it is more related to the tendons than nerve problem. My MRI showed tenosynovitis of the FDL & FHL tendons. He has suggested a TARSAL TUNNEL RELEASE AND TENOSYNOVECTOMY and states the success rate is only 50%. I have had this for 7 months and i am able to sleep at night but I do feel it at all times. Having a success of only 50% worries me. My question is have you ever performed this type of surgery (tts release, tenosynovectomy of the FDL FHL tendons and would you reccomend it as i have tried all non invasive treatments. What are the outcomes of htis type of surgery? Could it make me worse off? He states he also wants to debridment of the tendons. I am at wits end, and not sure if i should live with it or take a chance? Can it go away on its own or most likely will i have to live with this? Thank you for your expertise!!!!

Re: Tarsal tunnel surgery

susan o. on 4/14/04 at 10:47 (148863)

Barbara,
I had tarsal tunnel surgery several years ago after enduring years of pain. My only regret is that I did not have the surgery sooner. The searing pain is gone! Recovery was no problem - the cast was a little uncomfortable, but not intolerable. Of course, as with any surgery, make sure you have the best doctor.
Good luck!

Re: Tarsal tunnel release and tenosynovectomy for Doctors please

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/23/04 at 23:57 (149458)

Alex:
There may be a biomechanical cause for the tenosynovitis. How closely has that been looked at? How much PT have you had?
Ed

Re: Tarsal tunnel release and tenosynovectomy for Doctors please

Alex Prato on 4/25/04 at 09:49 (149508)

DR Ed Davis,

Thank you for responding. I have tried 2 types of orthotics that have not provided me with relief. They both consisted of a firm rigid type plastic for arch support and I've recently switched to a spenco polysorb that is soft , but am still suffering with pain. I havetried physical therapy for 5 weeks specifically stretching, iontophoresis, phonophoresis, ultrasound cross friction massage, yet these have failed to provide a consistent level of tolerable pain. I've tried 2 cortisone shots with no success and i am currently thinking of acupuncture. Could you please advise me on your thoughts on what i should do and your medical opinion on the SURGERY MY DOCTOR WANTS TO TRY? LIKE i said the success rate is 50% and he wants to do a 'TARSAL TUNNEL RELEASE & TENOSYNOVECTOMY OF THE FHL&FDL TENDONS. HAVE YOU EVER PERFORMED A SURGERY OF THIS TYPE AND WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS POSITIVE OR NEGAVTIVE AND THE RECOVERY PEROID? CAN THE SURGERY MAKE IT WORSE? I AM ONLY 33YR OLD AND CAN WALK NORMALLY WITHOUT A LIMP, BUT I FEEL PAIN AT ALL TIMES. THANKS DR ED FOR YOUR THOUGHTS