Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Billteral hallux rigidus

Posted by Connie on 4/25/04 at 14:00 (149511)

Hi!

I have had the operation for bilateral hallux rigidus. I went back to the doctor and he said that both my implants were bound up with adhesions. He tried to break the adhesions with first numbing my feet up and then stretching and pushing but to no avail. Is there any other way of breaking the adhesions without going in? If not, how can I avoid them in the future? Won't I just get more. If he would go in and break the adhesions, he would also like to stretch the cord of the big toe? I am now currently trying to get somoe more movement by stretching but my feet really hurt and I would like some relief?

Thanks,

Connie

Re: Billteral hallux rigidus

Dr. Z on 4/25/04 at 14:55 (149513)

Hi
If you have tried physical therapy, local steriod injections, without relief then surgery with removal of the implants may be in order. This is very rare. Are you sure this is the problem ? How long agao was the surgery ?

Re: Bilateral hallux rigidus

Connie on 4/25/04 at 15:23 (149515)

Dr. Z

The original surgery was nine months ago. I have tried physical therapy for six months so the doctor numbed up my feet. He tried to break the adhesions but couldn't. My feet are so black and blue and they really hurt. The doctor said he really felt a big bunch of adhesions on top. I have no problems with raising my big toes up; it's just down. He said if the problem couldn't be cured by stretching; then he could go in and break the adhesions and stretch the cord of the big toes so my big toe would go down.

Isn't there a laser or something to break the adhesions? If the implants are removed, could another set be put in successfully?

Thanks so much! Connie

Dr. Z on 4/25/04 at 15:48 (149516)

What type of implant was used ? Was it a hemi or a total. Yes a new implant can be inserted. It sounds like you have a problem with your sesamoid complex. These are the bone that guild the big toe joint. They may have to be released and their tightness broken up. I am assuming that that you don't have a long first metatarsal bone. Sometimes if the bone is long you will have jamming.

Connie on 4/25/04 at 16:06 (149517)

Hi Again!

A total was used. In addition to trying to break up the adhesions, the doctor built up the shoes by inserting a wedge so I wouldn't keep walking on the outsides of my feet and making me walk on my big toes. He told me to wear these shoes all the time. Maybe after three months, I can do without the wedge. With my black and blue feet, I just am in a lot of pain with all the changes. I hope this pain will subside. How long would you stick to this regimen before giving up and having some type of surgery done.

What are the chances that this implant can be more flexible? Any more suggestions? More physical therapy? I am willing to do what it takes to make the implant work if possible!

Thanks Again! Connie

Dr. Z on 4/25/04 at 17:26 (149523)

Hi,

It is very tough to determine the Why with your pain. Need a hands on examination. Alot of patients have reduced plantarflexed( downward) motion and increased dorsiflexion after implant surgery, without any pain and are very happy. Would have to see x-ray at this point in time. Maybe a second opinion is needed. Two heads are better then one

Connie on 4/25/04 at 18:20 (149525)

Since I went out of state for treatment, it might take a little time to have the xrays sent to you. The last x-rays after trying to break the adhesions showed that the big toes were not as far down as the doctor wanted but the implants looked super.

I sprained my ankle about 3 years ago. Could this be part of the total problem? Should I get an MRI? My doctor thinks this is unrelated.

When my shoe was built up and a wedge put in, there is pain from my big toe to the ankle?

Will contact my doctor in the morning and see if I can get copies of the x-rays.

Thanks so much for trying to help me! Connie